Friends whose taste in TV and movies I trust have been telling me about
this Netflix series for a while, but until the recent traditional
binge-watching holidays I haven't had a chance to see it.

Short version: I really liked it.

Long version: The idea of it -- a fairly successful, well educated,
about-to-be-married white chick gets busted for a one-time 10-years-ago
money smuggling offense and sent to women's prison -- didn't exactly
grab me. Even hearing that the series was by Jenji Kohan, creator of
"Weeds" didn't grab me enough to watch the series while I was still in
Paris. But once I got started, I binge-watched the whole first season in
three days. Now I'm Jonesing for more.

Like "Weeds," it's an ensemble piece, more about character than plot.
And boy! are there some characters in this series. There's the
protagonist Piper (played superbly and nominated for multiple Best
Actress awards to prove it by Taylor Schilling), but she's just the
vanilla-flavored white girl frosting on a multiracial and multitalented
cast the likes of which I haven't seen in ages.

Standouts include Laura Prepon as Alex (Piper's ex from her lesbian
days, who happens to be the person who got her busted, and is now in the
same prison). Laverne Cox as Sophia (a transgender woman) is
groundbreaking on many levels, not least of which is that Laverne is a
transgender actress. Uzo Aduba as Crazy Eyes (no description necessary)
is another standout, as tremendous a presence onscreen as I ever
remember seeing. Michele Hurst as Miss Claudette (old and wise after
having been raised in the modern slave trade), Taryn Manning as
Pennsatuckey (by far the craziest Christian you will ever meet), Kate
Mulgrew as Red (the Big Boss of the prison, in charge of the kitchen, a
former Mafiosi), Danielle Brooks as Taystee and...oh fuck it...EVERYBODY
in this series is standout! Even Jason Biggs as Larry (Piper's
fiancé) is good.

It's billed as a comedy-drama. I found it heavier on the latter, and to
good effect. Although much inside a women's prison IS funny, much is
not. The series is not afraid to tackle both sides, and treat them
compassionately.

If you like great actors given the best roles of their lives, this
series is for you. If you want to meet some of the greatest characters
you've ever seen onscreen, this series is for you. If you are offended
by nudity or frankness, including a great deal of sex both straight and
lesbian, this series might not be your cuppa toilet liquor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nryWkAaWjKg