Tolstoy could well be the greatest writer in world literature. Bearing in mind
I've only read him in English translation, his novels and stories are
perfection. But - and it's a very big but indeed - he suffered from old-man
syndrome. When he was a young nobleman the serfs on his estates brought their
young daughters to him to be enjoyed by Tolstoy as a part of his privileges.
When he went on to become a student and young man-about-town he frequented
prostitutes and had many mistresses.
 The trouble is that when he hit late middle age (and declining potency) he had
a change of "heart" and decided that sex was the root of all evil and railed
against the permissive society he lived in (and Russian society in his day was
very decadent indeed).
 He then penned a lot of puritanical stories and Christian propaganda taking
aim at the pleasures of the flesh. I really hate that. Leave the young to enjoy
their pleasures and make their own mistakes say I.