---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <punditster@...> wrote:

 Jobs That Suck

 There are probably lots of jobs out there that suck, really suck. Like,
cleaning out chicken coops in the hot summer; or laying hot black tar onto a
rooftop of a commercial building; or jobs where you had to put up with jerks at
work and a fat, bald headed guy that smokes a cigar. Rita used to be a Cad
Drafter for Gibson Guitar in Long Beach. But, you know what they say: "You
don't have to like your boss, just do what he says."

 One of the first jobs I had after college in 1966 was as a graphic designer at
Pacific Mutual Life in Newport Beach - the first company west of the
Mississippi River to use the brand new technology called Univac I. At that
time, the art department used a drafting table, T-square and a VariTyper for
type setting. It would be years before I got my first desk-top computer. But, I
used to watch the tapes spin in the computer room.

 At the time, I was living in Venice Beach at 405 Howland Canal. One spring day
I decided to quit working at the insurance company because the job sucked and I
had a real bad case of spring-fever. So, on a Friday I got my pay check and
went home - and never went back. Didn't say anything to anyone, just didn't
come back, never called. Just like that - sweet! They probably wondered what
happened to me. Go figure.

 In the basement of Pacific Life with the printers 1965.

 Good picture. You were a skinny thing. Here I am in about 1963 probably second
grade. My mother liked to give me the home haircut thus the bangs that look
rather askew.

 On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Richard Williams <punditster@...