--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> yeah, noozguru, I think that post of yours went in deep. I actually
did not enjoy Saving Mr. Banks though I love Emma Thompson and I
thoroughly enjoyed the character of her chauffeur.

Harlan's rant did not "sink in deep" for me, and thus didn't prejudice
my viewing of the movie in any way. Partly it's because I've interacted
with Harlan Ellison in real life, know his tendency *to* rant, and also
know that many of his rants can be reduced to "I didn't like this story
because it's not the way *I* would have told it." Harlan is nothing if
not narcissistic, petty, and jealous.

That said, he is also severely limited by the buttons that are so easy
to push in him. He was IMO *unable* to step out of "how he would have
seen this famous confrontation between Travers and Disney" and see it as
a screenplay on its own, examining one person's view of the
confrontation. I was, and thus was able to appreciate it in the same way
that I appreciate "Immortal Beloved." That is, as a fantasy or theory
about someone famous -- pure fiction, just done well, and coherent
within its own space. We'll never know if the real-life Beethoven was
driven by the things that the writer of "Immortal Beloved" projected
onto him, but it doesn't matter, because the projection itself was so
masterful and beautiful. Similarly, we'll never know what the real-life
reasons Travers had for writing "Mary Poppins" were, but the writer of
"Saving Mr. Banks" created IMO a pretty compelling set of theories about
them.

IMO *all* biographies and *all* autobiographies are fiction. You know
that going in. They are *not* fact. They're the story of an individual
told from a particular point of view. There are other POVs.

So the game is not *about* whether it's "true to life." No one has a
"source" for what "true to life" entails, or access to an objective POV
on the subject. Thus the only criterion with which I approach these
things are, "Is it a good story? Does it stand on its own, and remain
consistent to its own premises and assumptions?"

> On Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:43 PM, Bhairitu noozguru@... wrote:
>
> What about that Harlan Ellison review on YouTube I pointed to a month
ago?  And we get to thank Disney for the lame DMCA, oh eyepatch. ;-)

> On 01/23/2014 01:08 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> >This is a strange movie for *me* to be reviewing, and even stranger
to be reviewing positively, but react to it positively I did. After all,
it's a Disney movie, and worse, it's *about* Walt Disney, someone whose
sensibilities with regard to fairy tales and the dilution of them I do
not admire.