--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> One phrase in movement jargon is 'self-sufficiency'. I find it
interesting that when it comes to 'self-sufficiency' on the movement's
spiritual path, it is a bad word. It means you are on your own. It
doesn't mean ego, but it does mean that eventually you have to give up
the herd, herd mentality, and all that goes with that. The herd
mentality will get you a certain distance in your growth (almost all our
learning is based in herd mentality), but at some point it becomes a
liability and will hold you back, and at that point you need to reclaim
the direction of your life and form an independent understanding. You
cannot be creative if you are hemmed in by others' rules and concepts.

I've always found it an interesting exercise, when checking out
different spiritual traditions and groups, to ask a couple of pointed
questions.

The first has a tendency to raise hackles, and in fact has gotten me
thrown out of a couple of meetings. :-) And that is interesting, because
it's *exactly* the kind of question that a prospective student should be
asking of the teacher they're considering studying with. So, if the
teacher or org promises enlightenment as a result of practicing their
techniques and sadhana, I just ask, "Could you show me a few of your
students who have achieved this enlightenment you speak of, *as a result
of following your teachings*? If the teacher reacts with evasions like,
"Oh, we never speak about our own advancement," then you know they're
shuckin' and jivin', and that they have created an environment in which
everyone is pursuing a goal, but no one but the teacher is recognized as
having reached it. If they react angrily, that is a big red flag and
you'd best be advised to be Outa There, and quickly. If the teacher
*can't* point to anyone who has attained the goal of their teaching,
then you have the right to ask him or her, "How do you know it works, if
you have no examples *of* it working?"

The second question has to do with apostates. I always ask about people
who have spent some time with the teacher and then moved on. If the
teacher badmouths them and attempts to demonize them, then again it's
Outa There time. If the teacher acknowledges that they exist but the
only thing they can say is, "They're free to 'come back' any time they
want," then again you know that it's a You're Either On The Bus Or Off
The Bus org.

As for your preferred interpretation of "self-sufficiency," I agree
completely that at some point one pretty much *has* to "leave the herd"
to find oneself, or one's Self. The issue is whether the teacher
*allows* students to do that. If you get the feeling that independent
thought and a failure to do exactly what the teacher says is "not
allowed," IMO it's time to beat feet and get Outa There.

> ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb@ wrote:
>
>  --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, salyavin808 wrote:
>  >
> > Perhaps but maybe having such a mythos also helps keep people
together in one place where they can reinforce each others beliefs. If
everyone is spread out it gets hard to keep reality at bay. I remember
moving into an academy and it was a rapid and steep lesson in the TM
language and customs. Probably something about it in Cults 101, which
doesn't mean it was done deliberately to brainwash the newbies, but
living with others in a strong belief system does have the effect of
making you conform or be cast out.

> > And if everyone shares a town and worldview, what better way to keep
the money coming in! Very easy to frame world events through your own
prism and have everyone see the rainbow the same way.

> > And people are less likely to raise tricky questions if their social
and family life depends on staying part of the herd.

> > It's all jolly clever.
>
>  Especially if you've created a myth -- pretty much since Day One --
of the terrible things that will happen to you if you ever "leave the
herd." Think about the phrases "Off The Program" and "off the path" and
"losing one's way" that we heard so often. Think of the *shunning* that
took place whenever someone "left." Think how they were treated, and
referred to: "Someday he/she will realize his/her mistake and 'come
back'."

> This mindset is part and parcel of Buck's whole schtick. It feels
weird to those of us who no longer think that way because it's based in
fear: "Never leave the herd."

>  > ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb@ wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, salyavin808 wrote:
> > >
> > > Why not just be happy that you've got a nice little technique that
makes you feel happy and relaxed, why does it have to be the most
ultimate thing of any kind ever?