Re " increase in deaths due to heroin laced with fentanyl ":

 That's a possible explanation. Another is that the heroin he injected was
purer - stronger - than the usual stuff doing the rounds and he should have
used a smaller dose. But stronger/purer heroin is more desirable than heroin
cut with filler - as long as you're aware of what you're injecting. I knew a
Scottish smack addict who confided to me one time that whenever he heard of a
junkie dying of an overdose his first thought was never sympathy but was
always: "I wonder who the dead addict bought that batch from?" and "Can I get
my hands on some for myself" .