 From: "steve.sun...@yahoo.com" <steve.sun...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:13 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Is TM a Cult?

Looking back, I think many of the things you say are true.  And it sounds like
we still both have friends in the TMO who still have the frame of mind you
refer to.
But what were some of the "positives" you took from it, if you don't mind me
asking?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

As far as I'm concerned it never had a charismatic leader. Marshy's woolly,
illogical and ignorant lecturing style always left me cold. Corporation is a
good word for it though. As it sells both a product and a belief system that
makes that product seem a lot more valuable than it actually is. Marshy's
genius is the lectures he gave that conned everyone into thinking all the
unified field, sci, land of the ved bollocks was an ultimate truth for all
mankind and that he was its natural voice.

Most people in the TMO thought/think that he could do no wrong and always spoke
the ultimate truth. All they had to do was interpret and rationalise what he
meant. What a great trick, I'm glad Tony Blair never thought of it. I heard so
much rubbish when in the TMO I'd like to have my brain replaced so I could use
those neurons for something useful.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

>TM, more accurately now is a [religious spiritual] sect in its
post-charismatic leader phase.  As an organizational structure it is
a corporation.  Fairly, TM is no longer a cult with a charismatic
leader.
>salyavin808 writes:
>
>Potayto, potahto.
>

>No, most of what you are offering as definition technically is about sects.
>Cults form around charismatic persons. Sects form out of specialness,
>exception or differentiation as in different denominations of protestantism or
>catholicism or denominations or types of meditation. Those are sects. Sects
>are around fragmentation and cults are around persons as charismatics.  For
>instance, If someone really 'charismatic', like earlier defined by Weber, like
>a Robin were to show up in Fairfield, Iowa and take off a bunch of meditators
>as his followers by force and power of personality then we're talking cult, as
>a sect. That is different than the different sects of people out teaching
>meditations and some others out there teaching other things they've learned.
>-Buck in the Dome
>

>Salyavin808 writes: You don't need any leader to be a cult. All you need is a
>belief system that sets you apart from the norm.
>

>Om, policy and movement within TM now is based much
more on science, merit and efficacy than old ways promoted around
Totakacharya-like devotion, fealty and ideology. But that old movement way of
fealty test and
ideology test is fast dying away of a necessity and become cultural memory of a
past.

>Heck TM does not even have a charismatic leader or
leadership anymore.  WE got administrators.  It is kind of hard to
have a cult without a charismatic leader that you could point to.
That is defining of cults.  Please see FFL post# 370565 .  No, people
become meditators and then freely participating in this organization
because they like meditation and appreciate all the good that the
transcendent meditative state provides everyone individually and
collectively.  Our meditating organization is here to facilitate that
good.  That facilitating in our case now is the work of good in
progress by our new incorporation as meditators.  Our corporation as
it always has been is certainly about affecting a positive
revolutionary radical change in all of society for everybody.  Most
of us in TM are pretty clear about that.  Are you with us or against
us in this?
>-U.S. Buck in the Dome
>

>MJ, See Weber's comments on 'cult' in Melton's Intro
to The Postcharismatic Fate of New Religious Movements:

>MJ, Your thesis around TM being a 'cult' has a problem in
that we in TM no longer have a charismatic leader of TM.  We are
either administrators or meditators in TM and anyone in TM is
enfranchised by a little of both under Maharishi's Absolute Theories
of Management and Government.  You clearly are full of your own
personal BS and have your ax grinding about something.  I feels a sorrow for
thee in thy lack of peace around this.
>-Buck
>

>“Which would you rather
experience: living the paradox or understanding it to your
satisfaction?”  Not either position is mutually exclusive, or that
there is a third possibility of both.

>MJ writes:
>
>You need to read up on what cults actually are before you make such statements.
>

>Nope, not a cult.  TM now as a corporation obviously
is not a cult any more than any modern productive working corporation
of employees is a 'cult'.  TM and meditators as a community now are
just like airline corporation employee pilots of an airline company.
And they might go fly for their work wearing funny looking hats and
coats too where they would go to work and pilot an airliner.  And
those lesser employees too as part of the corporate team who organize
a flight as a gate agent or direct people as flight attendants or
load luggage or maintain the corporation equipment.  TM is as very
modern as is any corporation in 'cult' -ure, as Maharishi himself
particularly set that in motion now.  TM now is not hardly as bad as you
portray it.  It is rapidly becoming more modern and scientific as it is of
vedic origin in corporation all the time.  And we don't hardly see the gold
hats and robes around much outside of a small circle deep inside at the top.
If there is a cult it is possibly at that level to see but you can see a lot of
them avoiding the caps and robes when they can.
>-Buck
>
>MJwrites:You are right Buck, the TMO IS different now - it is much more of a
>cult than it was when I started in 1974. If you can look at these idiots
>wearing robes and gold crowns who practice and follow every Hindu religious
>observance and holiday and not see it as a cult, then you have been snorting
>too much sheep dip.
>

>Shame on you MHJ.  Om, First-Class Bull-Manure you
Spread Wide and Spread Thick here, MHJ.   This TM now is not a “cult”
no more as much as you might like to declare that it is.  As we used
to explain in the olde days, “Om no, TM is not a 'cult' like
christian cults or the people's-temple may be; TM is way too
dis-organized to be that. . It's about meditation and the evident
scientific spiritual value of meditation”.    MJ, there is
something malevolent in what you do to something that is so good in
itself as what is simply transcending meditation.   In this new
corporate-post-charismantic-era, Transcendental Meditation is plainly
now different.  Your commentary is clearly out of date.  I appreciate
that it takes a long time for the current news to travel to the
hollers and plantations of South Carolina but clearly you are out of
it.