And yet Sagan's comment is very applicable to those TM TB'ers and others who
have gotten caught up in similar groups - they refuse to see the obvious.
On Sat, 2/22/14, doctordumb...@rocketmail.com <doctordumb...@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

 Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Empathy versus cruelty
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 5:15 AM

       Yep, lots and lots of distractions and addictions,
 some very pervasive, like the materialist illusion you
 mention. My comment was more general, about the ability, and
 acceptance, of admitting a belief is in error. Information
 is far more available, and fluid, than it used to be. What I
 smelled in Sagan's words was a bit of obstinate, crusty
 ego, and, imo, we don't have to get stuck as easily, to
 old ideas, as we used to.

 I don't know what happens when people wake up from the
 materialist illusion, especially with the availability of
 almost an endless variety of toys, for every economic strata
 -- from private islands, to high political office, jets,
 mansions, etc. for the ultra-wealthy, and Cuisinarts,
 Toyotas, Disneyland, and a 30-year mortgage, for the
 middle-class.

 I spent many years, as a child, living without a dependable
 source of electricity, so I don't take it, and its
 derivatives, as a necessity for life's enjoyment, though
 the convenience of it is obviously unparalleled.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...>
 wrote:

 Re
 "an idea that is
 dying out, with the older, ignorant
 generations.":I think this old saw
 "The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too
 painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been
 taken" still has a way to run. Most people today have
 completely bought in to the whole consumerist ethic and
 think that material goods will bring them fulfilment. What
 will happen when the retail therapy stops working and they
 realise they've been well and truly
 bamboozled?

  ---In
 FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Agreed,
 Ann - this tired old saw about not being able to change,
 once we know something, is outmoded and an idea that is