"Since we know from other sources that he wasn't"

 He might not have been, Judy, but its entirely a he said, she said scenario
here, and "he" is now dead so he can't refute the "she said" part.

 That's how one version of the story goes. In another version, told by Cynthia
Lennon, Magic Alex convinced John and George that Maharishi had had sex with
one of the American students (not Mia), and that's why they left. Cynthia
thinks Alex was jealous of Maharishi's influence over John and wanted to get
the Beatles away from him:

http://www.beatles-unlimited.com/2008/02/10/cynthia-lennon-the-beatles-the-maharishi-and-me/

http://www.beatles-unlimited.com/2008/02/10/cynthia-lennon-the-beatles-the-maharishi-and-me/

For Magic Alex's version, see here (pages 8 and 9):

 http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/arts/Mardas.pdf
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/arts/Mardas.pdf

I've seen yet another version, which I can't find now on the Web, in which Alex
set Maharishi up, collaborating with this American student to stage the scene
implicating Maharishi that Alex took John to witness.

 Mia Farrow wasn't involved in any of these versions. From everything I can
determine, it appears that the Mia story and the John-and-George-leaving story
got conflated somewhere along the line. In any case, as Lawson says, Mia has
backed way off her original claim.

 But if the issue is whether Maharishi was or wasn't celibate, which of the
above versions (if any) is the correct one is irrelevant, since we know from
other sources that he wasn't.

 Really? That's how the story goes, last read by me in that definitive book
about the Beatles released 10-ish years ago.

 The fact her sister is a TM teacher means nothing to me about anything. Except
maybe she might want to always paint the movement in a good light. I read
somewhere that they do that a lot.

 You should get down the local Krishna restaraunt and get a copy of Chant and
be Happy it's all about the Beatles and Krishna, boy will you see them in a new
light. In fact you will see the power of selective editing at work. The TMO
never mentions H&L's devotion to Krishna and the Isckon book doesn't mention
TM. LOL, these cults and their obsession with one-upmanship.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 I havent been able to find an account by Mia Farrow where she says that MMY
attempted to get her to lie down, just that he started to give her a hug.  At
least, that is what her autobiography says. She may have watered down her story
from the time of the incident. Her sister is an active TM teacher, after all.
Continually attacking her sister's teacher would be a bad way to keep peace in
the family.

 1 Comment below....

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 ""He was a brilliant manipulator," said Mrs Pearce. "I just couldn't see that
he was a dirty old man. We made love regularly. At one stage I even thought I
was pregnant by him. And I don't think I was the only girl. There was a lot of
talk that he'd tried to rape"

 This seems a far cry from the poignant tale of love told in  her story of the
affair (I've never read it, so going by hearsay). Anthony Campbell commented on
her claim and said that Maharishi was in meetings with large groups of people
at all hours of hte day and night during that time, and tehre's no way a secret
affair could have happened without everyone (including him) being in on it.
Campbell is now a practicing Buddhist.

 Mia Farrow says that given her frame of mind at that time, had Jesus given her
a hug, she would have taken it the wrong way.

 The two surviving Beatles gave a benefit concert to raise money for TM some
years back, spoke highly of Maharishi in interviews, and John Lennon's widow,
Yoko Ono, even attended the concert.

 The two non-surviving Beatles, Lennon and Harrison (the ones who were actually
in Rishikesh at the time of the incident), quit TM soon after getting back from
India. Harrison had the Iskcon camping in his garden by the end of that year.
They both said that chanting the Krishna mantra was the ultimate spiritual
experience and did it for years, Harrison kept it up until he died, claiming it
saved his life many times.

 Iskcon publish a book about it but they don't mention TM, saying that Harrison
and Lennon had been doing a type of mantra meditation for a while.

 Regarding Mia Farrow, she was alone with the reesh and he tried to put his
arms round her and get her to lie down. You don't need to know anything else do
you, it's inappropriate enough without any fantasies. When L&H heard about it
they announced to Marshy that they were leaving and he asked why. Lennon said
"If you're so cosmic, you tell us".

 The fickleness of the famous? Or the only people who ever said no?