---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 Curtis, can you say in a nutshell what about consciousness you think Maharishi
got wrong?

C: Thanks for asking Share. You will get more than a nutshell because this is a
rich topic. The first fundamental problem for me is that he was shaping our
view of our experiences from his techniques from a religious perspective
created in a pre-scientific society. He made many unwarranted assumptions about
the value of his techniques or what he was doing to our brains. Although they
are highly addictive and pleasurable states of mind, I see no evidence that
they improve anyone's thinking or creative processes. I see evidence of the
opposite at least at higher levels of exposure. High exposure leads to an
erosion of the ability to distinguish internal and external experiences. This
causes a lot of problems that show up in claims here.

I challenge his fundamental assumption that  "knowledge is structured in
consciousness." This is epistemological bogus and psychologically manipulative.
It comes from  a non modern view of what knowledge is that had its birth in a
caste system controlled culture. If you see what Jim is attempting to assume
here by virtue of his self reported grandiose claims of experiences you can see
where this belief leads socially. It has been rejected by all modern societies
for good reason.

 A: I have been following this discussion with moderate interest. My
highlighted statement is what I find relatively unsupported and just kind of
thrown out there. It doesn't resonate with anything true for me. If you want,
you could elaborate on it.

C: That it comes from a caste system controlled culture is an historical fact.
That it is manipulative is my opinion. It tacks on another subjectively claimed
aspect to knowledge that does not resonate with me now. It sets up a hierarchy
of  levels of knowledge without any reference to an objective standard. I
cannot come up with an example that makes any sense to me now. YMMV

 A2: Yes, I believe my mileage might vary. First of all, I don't know the
history of how philosophies and theories of consciousness have evolved. I am
not interested in its evolution in terms of historical development nor am I, as
I have stated earlier, a philosopher. I don't talk about things as much as just
throw myself in there willy nilly and stumble over them.

 "Knowledge" is a relative term and can mean more to me than just learned
things. Knowledge encompasses aspects of current experiences as well as past
memories of learned things. How one subsequently structures this stuff into
meaningful and useful cerebral data could be "structured in consciousness",
structured in where one's consciousness is now. Consciousness simply being a
concrete aspect of intelligence/awareness. I see this statement as an aspect or
means of structuring knowledge within the embracing existence of an awareness
(consciousness); we inevitably see things through the 'haze' of our
awareness/consciousness so the resulting experience has been "structured" by it.

 A:When I first became familiar with TM and started SCI this "Knowledge is
Structured in Consciousness" statement made a lot of sense. And while I don't
really think about, let alone practice, TM anymore I still understand what it
means and it hardly seems elitist or let alone bogus or psychologically
manipulative. Instead I understand it as a very simple and clean statement and
I believe it - as far as it goes.

C2: I am drawing out the implications that seem important to me. Can you give
any examples of this that makes sense to you? In teaching the idea we used to
say that when you are tired you don't think clearly. But this is bogus because
although that may be true it has nothing to do with my "knowledge."

 A2: But then the state of being "tired" is not what MMY meant by
"consciousness" I don't believe. I think he meant it to mean something far more
pervasive and abiding. Therefore, I would agree with you on this small point.

 My perspective on the world is not changed because of this I have to teach
this way all the time for early classes. And by extension he is claiming that
"knowledge" is somehow also changed by continuing to meditate and achieve his
higher states of consciousness. I see zero evidence for this in my own or
anyone else's life.  Again YMMV so I am open to any examples that resonate with
you.

 A2: I think he is saying consciousness changes, not so much knowledge.
Knowledge is just input whereas consciousness, although subject to evolution
and deepening, is the deciding factor, the thing that trumps knowledge because
consciousness is always present and it is through the filter of consciousness
that all things must pass. Knowledge is relative, consciousness is pervasive
and colors what passes through it.

Because of Maharishi's religiously motivated agenda, he was unable to combine
more modern theories of the mind with his POV to expand it. He was unwilling to
be humble about the limits of his knowledge and instead presented himself and
his teacher as more than human with the appropriate humility concerning the
human condition. He used science as marketing like a charlatan with zero
respect for its methods. Over time this killed what could have been a much more
interesting endeavor. He was a superstitious man and had the intellectual
failing of hubris which clouded his judgement and turned a fascinatingly bright
man into a caricature of himself. He became fat Elvis.

A: From my experience at MIU and studying what it had to teach me for 4 years I
certainly didn't find that. But then you stayed on board the ship of the
traveling TM salesman and enthusiastic endorser far longer than I did. I
basically got a degree and moved on.

C: Maharishi did not respect the methods of science. He was an authority guy.
He talked about it at length on many tapes whenever he was off marketing to the
public mode. He was not open to the idea that any studies on TM would show
anything but a positive result.

 A2: Again, you were around a lot longer than I was doing all sorts of
teaching, learning more techniques, being subjected to lots more tapes and
lectures than I was so I can not comment on MMY's authoritarian nature or his
openness or lack thereof. While at MIU the scientific aspect of the effects of
the techniques were emphasized and backed up by numerous "scientists" and
studies. MMY appeared enamored with the ability/opportunity to use these handy
methods to validate what he was teaching. I didn't once feel that he was
anything but eager to explore what science could do to validate his teaching.

Yes our experiences after MIU were different but even at MIU I suspect I was
drawn to a different focus. I was in the library digging up transcripts of
India lectures and you were probably in the open air on a horse somewhere! In
retrospect I which I had been on one too. Did you ride there? I did cross
country sky which was fantastic in that flat big sky land.

 Skiing. I remember a few people skiing to the cafeteria or Student Union on
the snowy roads in winter. Maybe one of them was you. It is so funny that we
attended MIU at the same time, knew many of the same people and yet I don't
remember you at all.

I also challenge his assumption about the silent state of meditation as either
being our "true Self" or having any trans-personal implications about how the
world works. The sidhis were supposed to be the proof of his trans-personal
claims about the "absolute" but that test failed by his own created standards
and criteria. So we are now left with people feeling different subjective
things in the sidhis that cannot be tested and studied as well as grandiose
claims about its affects on the world. I respect that Maharishi set up a
legitimate test of his theories, but I do not respect that neither he nor his
organization acknowledged the falsification of his theory by the lack of siddhi
performance. He failed with his own clearly stated and self created test.

That is just off the top of my head. But that is ten minutes worth and I hope
you enjoy it.

Please feel free to share your perspective.

 On Friday, May 16, 2014 2:58 PM, "curtisdeltablues@... [FairfieldLife]"