--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Here are annual % change figures for DC violent crimes (and per
> 100,000 pop figures). Its interesting to see the big swings. This
> underscores the fact that there are probably a number of factors
> driving crime levels. If these are not controlled in the analysis,
> short term swings, annual, but most certainly 8 week periods, can be
> due to factors totally unrelated to the "intervention".

It's my impression that controlling for these factors
was precisely what the researchers were attempting to
do with their statistical methodology.

Box-Jenkins analysis--does that ring a bell?  I believe
that was also involved.  Just remembered it this instant.
I have no idea what it is.

> Also, note that in 1992, the year preceeding the study, there was
over
> a 15% increase in crime. The year before was almost 0. So there
seems
> to be some snapback effect, high levels may cause more police
> crackdowns, higher funding levels etc the following year.
>
> The Me study "indicated" a 25% drop in crime over 8 weeks. This by
> itself should amount to about a 4% decrease in the annual rate. But
> it went up 3%. But the next year with no ME effect, crime decreased
> over 8%.

Could that have been the abortion effect you keep touting
kicking in?

 Though having weekly figures would be best, even with annual