 From: "steve.sundur@... [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:24 PM
 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Holy Man Claims He Has Not Eaten Or Drank
Anything In 70 Years!

   Sal, who the hell are your trying to convince?  Yourself?

 I don't care if the guy didn't eat or drink for 70 years.  It makes me no
nevermind.

 Nor am I trying to convince anyone of the whether this is some grand
achievement.

 All I'm saying is that the dude, if you believe the reports of the people who
conducted the study, did not eat or drink anything for 15 days!

 Okay, that, on the face of it, that defies science.

 And no one that I'm aware of has come forward to debunk the study.

 And no one seems to be trying to promote it or make money on it.

 It is just an anomaly, and that is what interests me.

 You are the one so anxious to discredit it, but so far the grounds for that
are:

 1) It's impossible according to medical science as we know it.  Yes,
impossible.

 2) If it were true, then people would be flocking to find out more about it.

 Impossible! This is the third time I've caught you putting words in my mouth.
If you have evidence that a regular intake of food and water is optional I want
to hear it.

 I don't!  But evidently you have no explanation for the results of this
anomaly other than, "I don't like the results, they are impossible from what we
know about science, and the general public has not gone gaga over this"  That
is called an appeal to authority, and is a weak position on which to dispute
something.

 A weak position other than the fact there is no magical gland in the human
body that, when starved, creates a magical nectar that provides all dietary
requirements including water for many decades and without any energy input?

 It's not really an appeal to authority is it? If I drop a plate I expect it to
hit the floor, I understand the "authority" that tells me it's the most likely
expectation. Gravity is a well observed and understood and predictable law of
nature. Saying I'm making an "appeal to authority" implies that you think I
don't know what I'm talking about but am just hoping you'll take someone's word
for it like you think I do.

 Metabolism is another thing I feel confident enough to say that you can't go
without food or water for 70 years, there is no appeal to authority here
either. As I say, it's either a hoax or this guy has a magical gland etc etc...