Spiritual and Material Values

 "Every experience has its level of physiology, and so unbounded awareness has
its own level of physiology which can be measured. Every aspect of life is
integrated and connected with every other phase. When we talk of scientific
measurements, it does not take away from the spiritual experience. We are not
responsible for those times when spiritual experience was thought of as
metaphysical. Everything is physical. Consciousness is the product of the
functioning of the brain. Talking of scientific measurements is no damage to
that wholeness of life which is present everywhere and which begins to be lived
when the physiology is taking on a particular form. This is our understanding
about spirituality: it is not on the level of faith --it is on the level of
blood and bone and flesh and activity. It is measurable."

 -Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Sigh...

 Does no-one read my posts? I try to keep them to a minimum these days...

 Here's a mainstream review article on mind-wandering that I already linked to:

 Towards a Neuroscience of Mind-Wandering
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full

 http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full

 Towards a Neuroscience of Mind-Wandering
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full Mind
wandering is among the most robust and permanent expressions of human conscious
awareness, classically regarded by philosophers, clinicians a...

 View on journal.frontie...
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full
 Preview by Yahoo

 From the abstract:

 "...classically regarded by philosophers, clinicians, and scientists as a core
element of an intact sense of self."

 Further in"

 "MW serves “self” functions
 As detailed in the context of strategy B1, there are theoretical (Gallagher,
2000 http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full#B20),
neuroanatomical (Gusnard, 2005
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full#B28;
Northoff et al., 2006
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full#B45), and
intuitive grounds to claim that MW is a self-related cognitive function, which
serves to create and maintain an integrated, meaningful sense of self out of
various aspects of self-related information and cognition. Northoff et al.
(2006)
http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnhum.2011.00056/full#B45, for
instance, conceptualizes MW as a “psychological baseline,” a form of continuous
self-referential processing which is evident during non-task conditions and
which ultimately forms our subjective experience of a “continuous stream of
subjective experience” or “phenomenal time” where past, present, and future are
no longer divided but integrated."

 Maharishi has always (in my memory) described TM as mind-wandering, allowing
the mind to wander in the direction of greatest happiness, which he described
as pure consciousness, pure self-referral consciousness, so his descriptions of
the process of TM allowing the mind to settle down into its state of least
excitation, while saying that that is pure self-referral consciousness, is
supported by Western scientific concepts of self.

 Several studies published over the years have examined the physiological
functioning of someone reporting pure consciousness during TM.

 The very concept of using science to study meditation and spirituality was
proposed by Maharishi back as early as 1957. By 1959, _Hermit in My House_
described his students building a dark-room shack in the backyard of the
Olson's house so they could photograph TMers in an attempt to catch "subtle
glow" from meditator's faces. That never worked out, but the scientific
research program on studying the physiology of meditation has been ongoing ever
since, especially with the publication of R Keith Wallace's PhD research in
Science in 1970.

 I quoted Maharishi's take on researching meditation at the start of this
message.

 Research on pure consciousness during TM, and so on:

 Electrophysiologic characteristics of ... [Psychosom Med. 1984 May-Jun] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6377350

 Electrophysiologic characteristics of ... [Psychosom Med. 1984 May-Jun] -
PubMed - ...  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6377350  PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6377350
 Preview by Yahoo

 Autonomic patterns during respiratory suspe... [Psychophysiology. 1997] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9009807

 Autonomic patterns during respiratory suspe... [Psychophysiology. 1997] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9009807 PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9009807
 Preview by Yahoo

 Pure consciousness: distinct phenomenological... [Int J Neurosci. 2000] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10512549

 Pure consciousness: distinct phenomenological... [Int J Neurosci. 2000] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10512549 PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10512549
 Preview by Yahoo

 A self-referential default brain state: pattern... [Cogn Process. 2010] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19862565

 A self-referential default brain state: pattern... [Cogn Process. 2010] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19862565 PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19862565
 Preview by Yahoo

Comparison of coherence, amplitude, and ... [Int J Psychophysiol. 2011] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21726586

 Comparison of coherence, amplitude, and ... [Int J Psychophysiol. 2011] -
PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21726586 PubMed comprises more
than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science
journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content
from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.

 View on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21726586
 Preview by Yahoo

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <seerdope@...> wrote :

 Sparaig said: " TM practice strengthens "sense of self." Samadhi, or pure
consciousness, during TM, also happens to be the point where the relaxed
mind-wandering activity of the brain associated in Western science with "sense
of self" happens to be greatest." ----------------

 What are the brain and physiological parameters that establish that a subject
is in Samadhi?
 Same for "mind-wandering" activity of brain correlated with "sense of self"
(individuality)?

 If there are brain and physiological parameters that establish that a subject
is in Samadhi, then is Samadhi brain (and physiologically) dependent?

         Or is postulated that brain function is not a causal factor for
Samadhi, but rather Samadhi causes these brain changes? If so, how was this
established?

 If Samadhi is brain dependent, then established Samadhi (permanent in this
life, coexistent with activity) would not be sustained upon death of the body.
That would be inconsistent with significant portions of traditional literature
that, among other things, state that established Samadhi perseveres after death
of the body.
   Which in turn would then ten to place all statements in such traditional
literature in question.