 Kedem

Also, my lovely daughter has been dating a "Modern Orthodox" man, so my family
is learning quite a bit. So here's some background on The Day:

Yom Kippur http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays/a/yomkippur.htm is the Jewish
Day of Atonement and is considered the holiest and most solemn day on the
Jewish calendar. Because Yom Kippur is a fast day, it is appropriate to wish
your Jewish friends an "Easy Fast" on Yom Kippur, or in Hebrew "Tzom Kal." The
traditional Yom Kippur greeting is "G'mar Hatimah Tovah" or "May You Be Sealed
for a Good Year (in the Book of Life)." This reflects the Jewish view of Yom
Kippur as the day when God seals our fates (determined by our actions) for the
upcoming year in the Books of Life or Death.

I love to hear about the deep traditions that have prevailed over time. I know
that one thing my niece loves about the things that she observes and practices
in her "new faith" is that it really brings them together as a family. There is
much time spent together recognizing and practicing the various holidays and
traditions and she finds it comforting and meaningful. If I were to guess, I
think she also feels the Judaic traditions allow her children a healthy
counterpoint to the superficiality that is our world today, that barrages us,
and perhaps children in particular. All I know is that she feels enriched by it
all. For me, I am a bit more of a free wheeler. I adhere to no particular faith
or religious tradition and perhaps that results from lack of discipline in that
context or perhaps I just find the general world around me the most intriguing
and interesting. Monotheistic pagan that I am.