The "gods" are teh devas, which means "shining ones."

 Using Maharishi's terminology, someone in God Consciousness notices that the
wholeness of the functioning of the brain starts to reconfigure in a certain
way to process incoming data, or express a specific aspect of being human.

 The reconfiguration, where some parts of the brain become more active and some
less, shines forth in a way distinct from the actual objects of perception
associated with that kind of processing, and is given a label: the deva
so-and-so, whose job it is to handle math, or love or whatever.

 Repeat the description of that and pass it along, and eventually the devas
become gods in a religion.