Problem is for some people awareness and consciousness are no longer mutually exclusive. That they are seems to be splitting hairs. Like Krishnamurti I just don't care about these issues anymore. And furthermore I am bewildered that people who have been practicing meditation for decades have not achieved enlightenment or "moksha" yet. Maybe there is something to the idea of an "old soul?"