On 12/17/2014 01:04 PM, anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Yes, no longer mutually exclusive. I think it is basically a teaching technique. As Nisargadatta said, it forces a person to look within if all they know is thinking and doing. The 'within' really is not a separate place in the universe, it is made to seem that way at first to break the habit of looking without. But then at some point you have to connect the inner and outer viewpoint that has been constructed and consciously take down the mental and experiential barrier that seems to exist between inner and outer.

It is curious that even after decades of meditation, some people do not seem to move beyond this. I think that is caused by a lack of scepticism, and an inability to trust one's own sense direction. Supposedly TM is to create field independence and self sufficiency, but these qualities do not seem to appear in a lot of people.

I think the belief system in the TMO is a major factor, it says these things will happen, but it does not pointedly make it a conscious issue of what sort of attitude the mind must have for it to be nurtured, since that attitude means questioning the very foundation of the system of belief.

If one takes the meaning of the words belief and knowledge seriously, if there is such a thing as knowledge, then belief will have to fall by the wayside at some point and be replaced by something more direct and substantial. As many people have experienced, the entire path of spiritual growth is based on concepts that have no real practical significance or meaning once they have achieved their purpose; they are tools, like a multi-stage rocket booster, which once they have done the required job, are jettisoned.

Someone who wants to teach this sort of thing might have to revisit such tools, or make up new ones, because if such a one just sits there and says 'everything is one' or 'you are that' or some such, it is not going to be very effective. The enlightenment success rate seems really poor, you cannot show it to someone. It is really the realisation you made a mistake and now you have realised what it was, but it did not change anything to fix it. A difficult selling point. Like selling the next year's new model car, when it looks exactly like the previous year.

Depends on what you are teaching. I learned to teach meditation using shaktipat. It jumpstarts the student though I did know one person who got shaktipat from one of Muktananda's teachers and felt nothing. He was even a very spiritual guy (raised in a Rosicrucian family).

Buck complained a while back about people falling asleep at the dome. I asked how he could tell the difference between sleeping and them being in delta state. For a few years when I meditate I find I will go quickly from alpha to theta then a little while later into delta. The latter being just like deep sleep has no thought yet unlike sleep you don't lose consciousness. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some folks at the dome are experiencing same. Unlike sleep you realize you just experienced something "very deep."

Problem is for some people awareness and consciousness are no longer mutually exclusive. That they are seems to be splitting hairs. Like Krishnamurti I just don't care about these issues anymore. And furthermore I am bewildered that people who have been practicing meditation for decades have not achieved enlightenment or "moksha" yet. Maybe there is something to the idea of an "old soul?"