 I've been thinking about creating a TV series or movie called "10 AC".  AC
stands for "After Computers".  Being the arts/tech field I've been watching the
trends and the research.  The series would be about society 10 years after an
EMP blast from the Sun renders most electronic useless.  Not an original idea
by any means but it would still be a functioning society just people are happy
to not be "connected" so much.  Two films that explore this are "Rover" where
you see the technology but it no longer works and "Automata" where there is
limited technology like no cellphones but pagers.

 Sometimes I wonder about EMPs though because I recall helping my dad install
insulation back in the 1960s and it was fiberglass with foil lining.  When I
drilled a hole through the wall in this 60's vintage house it had some foil
particles.  So the whole house might be one big Faraday cage. And that would
also explain why my phone signal is weak in the house and 4 bars outside.

 I should explain that the BD players were Ethernet only and I've long had a
CAT 5 cable going into the living room.  Chromecasts are wifi only.

 The technology race is because people need to find something that makes money.
 Leads to all kinds of crazy things.  But it was kinda fun to hangout at Google
a week ago.  There was a row of Chevy Spark vehicles parked right behind where
I parked.

 Speaking of EMP, how about that blast in the Ukraine the other day?  People
are reporting their electronics were knocked out.

 Seems we're waiting for the other shoe to drop.

 I've got a Hi-Fi amp that uses valves made in Russia in the cold war. They
were specially designed to resist EMP's! So at least I'll have music, except
the CD player won't work....

 I didn't hear about any EMP in Ukraine, sounds sinister but maybe the least of
their worries if Uncle Sam arm's the government against Putin's rebels.

 Another big threat to our electrical is solar flares. they can be powerful
enough to wreck satellites and computers on Earth. We haven't had a really big
flare up since we started relying on electricity, I think there was one that
knocked out the telegraph system 1890 or thereabouts. Think of the chaos of the
stock market went down! But at least we'd know it was coming these days.