Lots of people enjoy piling onto Maharishi about "hopping like a frog" being
the first stage of Yogic Flying, with a latter stage being levitation, but as I
pointed out, the _Shiva Samhita_ describes levitation as coming in various
stages, including moving along the ground as a " frog jumps" (around verse
45ish I think) so this isn't something MMY made up.

 As well, when Herbert Benson wanted to investigate paranormal claims about
meditation, he asked the Dalai Lama about it and was sent to a  remote region
of Tibet as he describes in his book:

 Timeless Healing by Herbert Benson
https://books.google.com/books?id=jpLwDJppxqQC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=%22relaxation+response%22+levitation&source=bl&ots=Yq4zV4heN7&sig=50UtshUT0ja6FxxUL-D3zekXarc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Gmr_VLCLC8nuoASAyYHQBQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22relaxation%20response%22%20levitation&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=jpLwDJppxqQC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=%22relaxation+response%22+levitation&source=bl&ots=Yq4zV4heN7&sig=50UtshUT0ja6FxxUL-D3zekXarc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Gmr_VLCLC8nuoASAyYHQBQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22relaxation%20response%22%20levitation&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=jpLwDJppxqQC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=%22relaxation+response%22+levitation&source=bl&ots=Yq4zV4heN7&sig=50UtshUT0ja6FxxUL-D3zekXarc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Gmr_VLCLC8nuoASAyYHQBQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22relaxation%20response%22%20levitation&f=false

 ...On other expeditions, my colleagues and I tried to confirm legendary
reports that Tibetan monks levitate, rising and hovering above the ground
during meditation. But when we were allwed to view the levitation of monks in
the mountain hamlet of Chail, it appeared only to be an act of considerable
physical agility in which monks, leg-locked in lotus position, sprang several
inches off the floor. They did not hover. I was told through a translator that
the sages of old had done so. When I asked, "Is it possible today?" the monk
replied, with a twinkle in his eye," There is no need. Today we have airplanes."

 And, I should point out that the subjects for Fred Travis' study on the
psychological and physiological correlates of enlightenment were mostly drawn
from long-term participants in teh Invincible America course. The average foam
time was about 15,000 hours. Further, the EEG of the TM-Sidhis, including Yogic
Flying when hopping isn't involved, is TM-like, but with more coherence in
non-alpha frequencies -in other words, more CC-like.

 So mocking people who sit on the foam  in the Domes for years is an expression
of both rudeness AND ignorance (of course those often go hand-in-hand).

 [...]
 If we were to discover meditation tomorrow and start the nomenclature all over
again would we still go for a unified field/"pure" consciousness/vedic infinity
kind of approach? I think not. The emphasis would be mostly on what use it
might possibly have, and that would be based on evidence and not the wild
claims of the reesh.

 It would be a good project as we could disabuse people of the idea that it's
something to do with physics from the get-go and thus remove a lot of tricksy
cash cows from organisations like the TMO and also stop a lot of people
spending all their lives sitting in domes waiting to fly and create a
non-existent peace-field when they could be doing something they might be more
proud of in later life.

 Would it be as much fun though?