 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

 It's about time someone raised a non-hysterical voice about all of this AI
stuff. Hinton is absolutely correct in his last sentences in this article --
people have much more to fear from other people than they do from AIs.

 I find it fascinating how much of an *emotional* issue this -- the idea of
machine sentience -- is for many people. For many of them it's a religious
thang, in that they actually believe that creating intelligent life is
something reserved for God...who doesn't exist. But for many others I think
it's almost a racial/ethnic fear. For them, shiny robots have taken the place
in their catalog of Things To Fear alongside people they consider niggers and
ragheads.

 I guess it's a trend. Intelligent minds find ways to become more intelligent,
and small minds find ways to become even smaller.

 I don't know how likely it is even though it's obviously possible. I think a
big fear is that we really do make ourselves obsolete. We might create
something better than us that considers us worthless or at least a subordinate
system. We've done it already, society is a complex emergent system that
depends on us but we sacrifice ourselves to it to keep it alive. Think how much
more powerful a worldwide robotic brain would be in keeping us in our place!
Perhaps the only robot code we need is to make sure we can pull out the plug?

 Or even something that can replace the job we do would be scary. And then
there's autonomous battle machines, that's only going to end in tears but it
isn't stopping them being built.

 But perhaps the biggest fear is a philosophical one. If we can create a cyber
brain that works exactly the same way as ours that must definitively mean that
we are simply our brains and there is no soul or spirit. That might hurt a lot
of people more than unemployment or Skynet ever could.

 I don't know whether you got a chance to see the movie I raved about recently,
"Ex Machina." IMO it's the most intelligent film about AI I've ever seen.

 The quirk that makes it most interesting is that one can view the Turing Test
being conducted in the film two different ways -- either as a test performed by
humans on an AI to determine whether it's truly sentient (and thus worthy of
continuing to live), or the opposite...the exact same test, performed on humans
by the AI.

I have it in my awareness to watch, sounds interesting. I know humans that fail
the Turing test though, perhaps we'd be better off without them. Maybe that's
what it's ultimately for! We all have to measure up to Alan Turing or it's off
to the processing plant. There's a brave new world coming I think...

 I'm way behind on my movies. I only got to see Prometheus the other day when
it got to TV. Can't imagine what else I've missed. My trouble is the library
never gets decent modern films in to rent and Blockbusters shut down because
people prefer to download everything. I'm so behind the times I doubt it would
take much of an AI to replace me!