Licenses are often handled by the Harry Fox Agency. Rates can vary from cheap to the absurd. But back in the 1990s some of the record companies began offering 30 seconds of tunes in their catalog for $300 for some uses. A record company president told me he thought the Fox Agency was a bit out of step with the times when I told him how they wanted for title we wanted to use. But sometimes the artists retain enough control that they can intercede and offer tunes for use even for free if they like the project.