> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > haha, all of us anonymousesesesesesees hiding behind the
> > > moniker, no that was not me. me anonymous is kh anonymous
> >
> > I wish all you anonymice would sign your posts with at
> > least a nom de net so the rest of us can keep track!
> >
> > You do realize Voodoo is a legitimate religion, not
> > satanic at all, and that "Ooga booga" is a slur on
> > Africans, right?
>
> "Ooga booga" is a slur on  Africans?

Sure, it's a crude burlesque of African language
used in tribal rituals.

"Mumbo-jumbo" is another derogatory term derived
from African religion; the original refers to a
religious figure among the Mandingo.

Both terms have lost their references and become
ordinary slang, but they were originally slurs.

> Its an often used phrase use
> here and other lists for para-rational spiritual stuff: siddhis,
> shakti, ME, etc. Why after all these years, of the term being
> regularly used, did you decide to wait until now to inform us that
> the term is actually a slur on Africans. Who knew?

Why did *I* "decide to wait"?

I've never seen the term used here that I can recall.
No "decision to wait" was involved.

<snip>
> And it would appear that "he just wished the destruction of the
> satanic voodoo part[of the city]" is a correct description of Tom's
> view.

Were you quoting him when you wrote "to get rid of
the satanic ogoga booga," referring to Voodoo?

I'm sure it wasn't your *intent* to denigrate a
religion and a race.  But you (right?) had gone on
at some length about the allegedly subtle implications
of Peter's post even after he pointed out he had had
no intention of denigrating religious rituals.

So it cuts both ways, is all I'm saying.