 I'm reminded of those immortal lines of Philip Larkin:

 They fuck you up, your mum and dad,
 They don't mean to, but they do.
 They fill you with all the faults they had
 and add some extra, just for you.

 (from memory, so may not be absolutely correct.)

 That's how I remember it actually.

 Worth seeing the whole thing again though. Jolly little number:

 This Be The Verse
BY PHILIP LARKIN http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/philip-larkin They fuck
you up, your mum and dad.
     They may not mean to, but they do.
 They fill you with the faults they had
     And add some extra, just for you.

 But they were fucked up in their turn
     By fools in old-style hats and coats,
 Who half the time were soppy-stern
     And half at one another’s throats.

 Man hands on misery to man.
     It deepens like a coastal shelf.
 Get out as early as you can,
     And don’t have any kids yourself.

 I suspect that the "imprinting" you are talking about happens well before
adolescence, likely in the child before the age of seven. It won't manifest
until much later, but it's there all right, a nice little present from "the
family."

 Re stress and trauma: Doubtless the usual cause of psychological problems is
because of inappropriate conditioned behaviour. But I wonder if in the case of
sexual issues that imprinting isn't more significant.

 What's that then? Imprinting is a learning pattern which occurs at a
particular life stage. What is important to grasp is that imprinting is
instantaneous and apparently independent of the consequences of behavior.

 If this idea holds water then sexual imprinting is the process by which an
adolescent boy or girl (at the point that sexual interests flood the system)
learns the characteristics of a desirable mate from an accidental linkage
between lust and some feature of the environment at that critical point. So if
a boy's first stirrings were linked to a boot-wearing meter maid(!) then that
could establish a fetish for that cue. What's noteworthy is that imprinted
(unlike normal conditioned responses) can't be eradicated by the usual
therapies. Hence sexual preferences are notoriously difficult to modify later
in life no matter how distressing someone may find them.

 (Tim Leary and his acolytes claimed that LSD sessions could undo imprinted
behaviour patterns. Maybe he's not the most convincing authority to cite. But
maybe his suggestion is worth following up.)

 Truly excellent post, Salyavin, I agree with what you say. TM of itself does
not resolve childhood traumas, in my experience, and the TM model of "stress
release" is inadequate to address such issues. I think many long-term TMers are
aware of this and have sought out other means of addressing those things. Lots
of people here in Fairfield are involved in a process called "shadow work,"
which gets down into those deep-seated issues and helps to resolve them through
a kind of enacted psychodrama. I did some shadow work and got a lot out of it
regarding issues that had been with me since  an abusive childhood but which
decades of TM had not budged in the slightest. On the other hand, I think there
are quite a number of people on the MUM campus here who still hope that
enlightenment will somehow come to them one day and all their troubles will be
over, and still others who know this will not occur but who do not have the
tools or the knowledge to address serious long-term psychological damage
incurred, as often as not, in childhood.

 Thanks, this posting is really sensitive to some issues and respectfully said.
Though, there are a lot of folks around here who do in fact have [objective]
experience of 'ritam' aka, the 'siddhis-like' in practice or formula otherwise
by Patanjali with cultivated transcendence as MMY brought out. One could feel
sorry for you and others that this was not your experience. “I have given you
the key to the universe and you want an advanced technique?” -MMY May 1977

 Compelled by enough spiritual experience on their own the meditating community
of Fairfield, Iowa is proly not going to go away any time soon. I am going to
copy out some of this posting as summary to add to material of particular
experiences with the culture of the movement being collected by a sub-committee
of the Mental Health Alliance as data-points about people's cultural experience
related to mental health. It is progressing well. With enough data-points one
can see to develop and implement better 'actionable' policy in facilitating
organization to the benefit of individuals and the well-being of the
organization. Metrics count that way in data, -JaiGuruYou!

I'm delighted that is of interest to you. I'm fascinated by the problem of
mental ill health as it's so debilitating when it strikes and undermines your
ability to live your life how you want. A contented experience of our inner
self is fundamental to good living and when that goes wrong in some way it
means your entire life has gone wrong.

 I'm interested in what problems people in the FF meditating community present
to their doctors, whether it's things like symptoms that develop after learning
TM or TMSP, or whether it's that they learned TM to help cope with pre-existing
problems and it didn't work.

 And also the prevalence of certain conditions and whether they match the
distribution of similar conditions in the wider country. For instance, it used
to be that doctors in the UK would get more depressed housewives suffering lack
of self esteem and anxiety about life. Since then there's been greater equality
between sexes and decent career prospects so that doesn't happen so much. These
days the greatest problem doctors are presented with is socially alienated
young men. The suicide rate of men under 30 in the UK is horrifically high.
Another thing I'm interested in is whether a community that is based on shared
beliefs and a common goal has fewer cases of depression caused by the same
feelings of social isolation? But that's more a sociological question and
probably not within the scope of what you are doing.

 One of the things I think will have to look closely at is the TM model of
stress and stress release. I think that it's wildly inaccurate and isn't even a
simplified version of what does happen. The trouble I'm sure you have is there
are going to be a lot of people in the TMO who learned TM to self-prescribe a
hopeful cure for things that have plagued them their whole lives. A reason it
falls down is that the sort of mental process that causes, say, anxiety attacks
isn't a "stress" it isn't something that can be meditated away using Marshy's
model of "stress" getting trapped in the nervous system and being simply
released by deep relaxation.

 There are many causes of anxiety states but as an example; I knew a purusha
guy who learned TM because he was extremely shy with girls - to the point of
panic attacks when alone in a room with one. He thought, and I doubt he was
alone, that if he spent a few years in this deepest state this "stress" would
get released and his anxiety would normalise. It didn't of course, because
anxiety like his isn't a "stress" even thought it is stressful. Problems like
his are caused by picking up signals in childhood that turn out not to be
useful when we grow up. Maybe his parents were embarrassed about sex and he
picked up on it and unconsciously saw it as something to feel guilty about.
Upon reaching his teenage years he would be overcome by conflicting desires and
the learned responses that his brain tells him are correct because that is the
only thing it knows to do, but actually they cause tremendous fear.

 There are plenty of people who tell you they know how to deal with things like
this but the only real way I've come across is by understanding the purely
physical process of an anxiety attack and then gradually confronting the thing
that triggers the problem. This works because when it's making you anxious your
brain is trying to help you by repeating the response it learned to provided
last time. It does this with everything you learn just to stop you having to
concentrate when driving a car for instance. So when you start a process of
retraining this system you learn that all you've got is some unhelpful
programming, the brain doesn't discriminate between what is good and bad for
you it's concern is just to act in the way it was taught. It doesn't learn to
do something different just because you don't like the results of what it has
picked up throughout your life. In fact, anxiety states get worse the longer
they go unchallenged because another thing the brain does is remember what was
happening last time you were stressed and when that environment is recognised
again it makes you anxious again and simply because it tries to recreate what
state you were in last time without realising that you weren't happy with it.

 I'm just scratching the surface of anxiety and how and why it develops here,
it's a fascinating and entirely natural process that we all have as part of our
evolution but it just gets carried away sometimes and can invade your entire
life if you don't learn how to deal with it. BTW This model of personality
development covers a lot of seemingly different conditions too.

 There are many different components to our conscious experience and most of
them are unconscious and working away without us being aware of them, and they
all work brilliantly but only with what information they are provided with. The
brain doesn't see good or bad when it learns is probably the best point to
think about, some things just aren't useful to us.

 This piece is a bit rushed as I'm trying to encapsulate a lot into a readable
space but will expand on things if you like and if you think they don't make
enough sense. I suspect the first time you come across this way of looking at
the brain it may seem like the most unlikely nonsense but it does work as
testable model and as a starting point for finding a cure for a lot of problems.

 Note I never say "mind" as I'm not even remotely convinced the mind exists as
a separate thing, we are machines and mental ill health is the proof of this,
it's symptoms are inescapable and reliable and even predictable given a set of
circumstances. I see a huge gulf between the TM model and this modern mental
health understanding. But can TM help at all in these anxiety state situations?
It depends on the severity of the symptoms and how long they have been present.
One way it's good is in how it breaks a cycle of thinking or takes you out of
your social circle into a different scene and the change in pressure when apart
from trigger events can give you breathing space. Some few people are
transformed by TM - I've known a couple myself - but most aren't, most get a
soothing effect for a while and a reduction in symptom severity but how long
does it last? I could make a case that it's a form of tranquiliser in that it
reduces anxiety symptoms and gives us enough extra freedom to make better
decisions with the debilitating effects of adrenalin which is the main problem
these days. Whether it's enough depends on how afflicted you are, fr some yes,
others no.

 Interestingly, if you use TM to cope with anxiety it can make you feel worse
because it never quite gets to the bottom of it and you get to a loop of going
on endless courses hoping for the final cure but it never comes, which is
depressing. I know people like this. When I worked at the academy I got to know
a lot of people wel and discussed problems like this. It was one of the things
that made me wonder whether we are on the right track.

 I get a lot of e-mails from the TMO featuring some micro-celeb with a quote
about how amazing it is and how it solves all their problems and gives them
energy, all the things I used to say when I started but I don't feel that way
any more. I wonder how many of them will be like me or like the majority that
quit when it becomes obvious they aren't getting what was advertised on the
tin? Or remain cheerleaders like David Lynch and you perhaps?

 I'd like to see data on how many drop out of FF or the TMSP generally but I
remember that Marshy would permit research into anything "negative". But data
is vital whether it's confirms what you want it to or not, if you want to
understand something that is. Good to see that's changed, best of luck with it.

 Ooops, that turned into a bit of an essay but it's still just the tip of a
fascinating iceberg. I hope any of this waffle makes some sort of sense to you,
it might just be too new a way of looking at things at first glance. I can
expand on it if you find it of interest.