We live in the 21st century. If there are Muslims who want us to change to Sharia law they can be shown the door. There are many Muslims who could give a shit about Sharia law and are only Muslim by birth or circumstance.

On 09/09/2015 03:38 PM, Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
When I speak of cultural differences, I'm not talking about food or dress. I'm speaking about how we treat or accept others. Example: Muslims are far less tolerant of the rights women take for granted in the west. Wife beating is considered the norm over there, honor killings, blaspheming their religion can cause violent reaction,etc., they tend to bring those behaviors and attitudes with them.The taxi reference was about Drivers refusing riders that had bought alcohol in gift and duty free shops and taking it home, sober. Taxi drivers here, I don't know about Canada, are often called to take people home from bars or parties in order to keep them from driving and causing accidents. It's a job requirement, for public safety. Many expect our society to accommodate them on issues of this nature when it wouldn't be acceptable by our own. Should Muslim businesses be allowed to refuse service to Gays, Lesbians or transgenders? If so, why not Christians or Jews?More and more Muslims are demanding that we accept Sharia law, which would definitely allow this behavior. Ready for polygamy? Can they accept us for who we are or do they expect us to accept them and live by their cultural standards. They come here, we didn't go there.

*From:* "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:41 AM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Who Would Have Predicted?

I don't think disassociating one's self from fellow countrymen or culture is important either, when adopting a new country. What concerns me is, are they(immigrants),willing to accept the customs and laws of their adoptive country. An example would be in some cultures, mainly eastern or middle eastern, segregation of the sexes is the norm. However, it is thought to be sexist in another culture. Some can accept these differences and others can't or don't want to. Recently, in the name of religious freedom, we've had issues of people thinking they can obey the laws that they choose. The one in the news the most lately, has been the woman in Kentucky that doesn't want to issue marriage licenses to gay people because she thinks it violates her religion. Many may agree, to a point, but most think she should obey the law. She will eventually give in or take a different job. However, the incidents we don't hear that much about are Muslims that refuse to sell/ handle pork or alcohol and demand accommodation for that in their jobs due to *freedom of religion*. Muslim taxi drivers don't want to accept riders that either carry alcohol (unopened) or may be leaving a bar intoxicated. The question is, how much of an immigrant's former culture do we have to accept and at what inconvenience to our own culture an! d lifestyle. These are the kinds of conflicts that I'm referring to and they( differing issues) are much more numerous and how much resentment does it cause on either part? It's easy working these things out on an individual level but when entire cultures are involved, mine vs theirs, friction begins to build. I'm not against immigration, just think it should be done with caution and selectively. An immigrant to any country should be able to speak their own language, eat their own food, observe their own customs in their own homes but when in Rome( public).... And if that is unacceptable, don't come.

I think some of your thinking is based a little in fear but some is also practically based. Adopting certain traditions from other, incoming cultures has been happening constantly. Think of the new foods we eat now that were virtually unobtainable in North America just a few decades ago, the ethnic foods i.e. sushi. Music, art, theater have all benefited from the influx of new ideas, different life experiences of those coming to live on foreign soil. Fashion, dress habits - our lives are always being touched by a variety of influences, especially now with the internet and vast reaches of the media not to mention the ebb and flow of various ethnicities migrating around the globe.

As far as taxi drivers, to take one example, I don't think they are (no matter what their ethnic background) required to take a ride! that they deem is either a threat or likely to result in problems and this includes extremely inebriated passengers. I don't think any business is required by law -airlines, restaurants public transit - to allow a person deemed too inebriated to be given access to a premises. There has been a recent kerfuffle here in Canada about allowing RCMP officers who are Sikh to wear turbans or not, for example. Why not allow this? So that they can don the silly Mountie hat instead? Anyway, whether you like it or not your life and my life are being altered by the constant comings and goings of different individuals and different cultures every single day. Until the day you are forced, at knifepoint, to attend a mosque and swear fealty to Allah I don't think you need to sweat it.