Just curiously, (I have no background in any of this), does the "True Self"
equate with the "Soul"? (from which, in certain texts, God within from which
"nothing can be taken away or added to?")

 Re "Chogyam Trungpa commented . . . our common human nature renders us
essentially flawed":

 Chögyam Trungpa was too much a drunk, aggressive lech for my taste. All that
“crazy wisdom” master crap cuts no ice with me.

 I think those who argue we are fallen creatures (western tradition) or
essentially ignorant (eastern) are pointing to something true and vitally
important. Those who think we can simply remake ourselves as we see fit are
precisely those who pave the way for the gulag.

 Re "BTW, you never deigned to answer: How do you know you are not
enlightened?":

 My True Self  - "my" I - is enlightened. But at a lower level my everyday self
which takes slight at a perceived insult, fears death, craves more and more
experience is not and cannot be enlightened. You have to distinguish between
the two levels. As you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear it is wasted
effort and futile regret to kick yourself for the failure of your lower self to
rise to the level of the True Self. Your True Self is universal not particular,
transcendent not immanent, etc. That's why the "common experience of
self-judgment and self-hatred that will arise for people when they're doing
spiritual practice" was never an issue for me. Such people have simply
misunderstood the hierarchy I'm referring to.

 George Harrison is a case in point. He spent his last years struggling between
his (lower self's) desire to play the role of a spiritual type - doing daily
meditation, etc. - and his (lower self's) desire for cocaine and sex. The lower
self's struggle is fruitless as it will always remain "lower". To try and take
sides in that conflict only strengthens each opponent and gets you nowhere.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...> wrote :

 Re "in Western culture there’s a common experience of self-judgment and
self-hatred that will arise for people when they’re doing spiritual practice—an
unworthiness that will arise":

 That wouldn't be my problem!
 Sounds like a version of that self-loathing that infects those attracted to
various brands of political correctness.

Chogyam Trungpa commented upon this after studying Western psychology at
Oxford. He pointed out the insidious nature of the underlying metaview of human
nature in EuroAmerican culture.

He called it the broken vase prototype ... i.e. our common human nature renders
us essentially flawed as persons. That means we view ourselves as transgressive
by our nature rather than by our enactment of particular acts.

Over the years, I have found this divide between these fundamental views
reinforced by representatives of our particular cultures and lineages.

Read it and sleep or read it and weep.

 BTW, you never deigned to answer:
 How do you know you are not enlightened?
 How could you possibly know?