Uh, Salyavin, there are consumer laws to cover some or all the situations you
list below.

 Society determines what is acceptable risk, what is choice, and what is fraud.

 Sometimes that line can be fuzzy, but there is a line.

 You wish to expand this concept to cover something that you find objectionable.

 It doesn't work that way, does it. You may engage in an activity that someone
else feels should be curtailed, maybe like riding a bike on the Sabbath.

 And guess what.  I have bought a car that broke down the next day.

 Was I pissed?  I sure was.  But whose fault was that?

 It's a harsh world, and there are laws that have been written to protect
rights, but you can't as a rule cede personal responsibility to some outside
agency.

 If others find it rewarding and helpful to pay money or to engage in all or
some of these things, who cares and why?

 I do. If someone rang your grandmother and told her they could make her rich
by giving them all her life savings and investing it in junk bonds and then
spending her money on foreign holidays and sports cars, would you be angry? Of
course. Would you be counting on some consumer law to protect her? If not, why
not?

 If someone sold you a car that broke down the next day you'd expect some sort
of legal protection right?

 Suppose you knew someone who was mentally disabled and some stupid religious
group told him their prayers would be the best money they ever spent and took
£40,000 off them. And obviously gave nothing in return because prayers don't
work?

 Wouldn't you be angry and want to see them brought down a peg or two?

 Suppose you were part of an internet chat group and every time you pointed out
people were getting conned by bullshit other people reverted to cult type and
attacked you with insults and very weak arguments about how it was people's
right to get conned if they want to?

You'd probably be a staggered as me I suspect.

 My next door neighbour is a Christian and spends a lot of his time praying.
His prayers are undoubtably as effective as the TMO's yagyas (ie: not at all)
But here's the thing, his don't cost a fortune. His aren't shrouded with lies
and highly dubious scientific claims in order to make the victim, sorry
recipient, think they are getting sort sort of historically validated
technology to alter the laws of nature.

 From day one in the TMO they are training you to believe this crap and they
are counting on your scientific illiteracy to do the work for them. It is a con
and I am happy to point it out whenever they try it just as I would be if
someone tried to sell me a crappy car or rob my grandmother.

 With a lot of people in the TMO I consider this a folie a deux - a shared
delusion - but not with John Hagelin or Tony Nader, they know what they are
doing and they are trying to raise money out of other people's ignorance and I
am fascinated to watch people who have been through the brainwashing defend
them by attacking me.

 What do people find rewarding about being conned out of their life savings
anyway? Nothing I suspect. You can buy a yagya for anything, a death, a birth,
a wedding, getting a new job, looking for a new car, I know someone who paid
for a yagya for her dying cat! And they took her money!

 I'd love to know how much money the TMO makes out of it all. Untold millions
every year and it's all rubbish. Amazing really, I'm almost honoured to be
witnessing such a brilliant scam.

 I mean, just look at the cosmetic industry, as one example, and how millions
of women dish our their cash in order to look years younger or sexier when, in
fact, it's all just so much snake oil? Every minute of every day we are
spending time and money on stuff that is either misrepresented or just plain
unproven and untrue or simply a waste of time. In the meantime, I'm banking on
this lottery ticket I have to win me $50m so I can go out and buy the latest
skin care products.

 You have more chance of getting something with your lottery ticket than you do
buying yagya's.

 But why do you think it's OK for religious groups to lie because you like
cosmetics? I don't get your argument there, it isn't the same thing is it?. Put
on make-up and look in the mirror and you like the results. Pay £5,000 for a
health yagya and it doesn't work and then fall back on your brainwashing and
come up with an excuse, planets emitting waves at you or karma being too strong
maybe. Best get another yagya to counteract the negativity that stopped the
first one working.