 Good nuance.  Good comparison.

 A Caliphate? So the TMO is a social system grounded in ancient literature?
Yep, that's a fine comparison.

 I maintain that brain waves are real and affect one's environment.

 No one would argue that brain waves are real, but affecting the environment?
Not even the TMO is claiming that.

 Of course they are.

 No they aren't! They are claiming that they affect the fundamental level of
nature not brainwaves, it's their "unified field technology" that they are
claiming is affecting your brain, not other people's thoughts.

 Huh? My definition of "the environment" is obviously broader than yours. To
me, the environment is anything outside my body and that includes the unified
field as well as "the fundamental level of nature". I didn't say brain waves
effect brain waves although they do that as well as effect every other single
thing in "the environment". I also was not initially talking about the ME, I
was responding to Steve's assertion that "I maintain that brain waves are real
and affect one's environment." You are the one who extrapolated the ME.

 If the brain waves of TM'ers are supposedly more coherent and life supporting
(I have doubts about that) then the MMY effect comes (supposedly) into play and
effects what others think and do. That is "the environment".

  We can measure electrical activity in brains easily but you have to attach
some sensitive electrodes directly to the scalp to do it. These signals are in
the brain, if they could travel outside it would be easy to measure them
because we already know the frequencies.

 All waves, all activity is energy. All energy has force and it could be
measured if we had the tools. As long as there is energy there is movement. If
radio waves and all sorts of micro waves can be emitted and sent long or short
distances through the atmosphere then brain waves are also doing the same
thing. Even the beating of ones heart has some ability to be heard and felt
outside of the body.

 I can't help you with your scientific illiteracy.

 Haha, says he who sees himself as Einstein's protege.

  But as your heart can be heard outside of your body a lot easier than your
brainwaves can then maybe the Marshy Effect is caused by the slowing down of
people's hearts being heard across warzones. Hmm, yes. That makes sense.

 My point was not anywhere near what you are twisting or simply not sharp
enough to understand. My point was that even an unseen almost silent organ in
the body, the heart, has measurable sound and movement - has energy - that can
be measured outside the body thus it has an effect on the environment just as
brain waves (not the ME) are forms of energy and like microwaves or radio waves
travel outward and, if you have the right receiving instruments, create a sound
or a picture or, more generally, an effect on that environment. Your blather
about war zones and hearts is just your usual pig headed refusal to interact
civilly with those you don't like.

 But we can't and that isn't what they are claiming, the Marshy Effect is
supposed to work on some sort of "unified field" that connects all things via
our consciousness. Convenient that it seems to be an unmeasurable phenomena, or
am I unreasonable in expecting a physical basis to claims for the physical
world?

 Having an effect on a unified field doesn't mean the force, the energy of the
brain waves are not somehow hitting outer atmosphere ie being felt outside of
the brain and body. Sheesh.

 Sheesh what? This sentence makes no sense. But it interests me that the TMO
publicity machine seems to have had it's way in how it relies on people's
ignorance of physics history and understanding of forces and effects. It's
their oldest method of working, use a few vaguely familiar sciencey-sounding
phrases and use them to piggyback their own beliefs and hope you won't be able
to tell the difference.

 Remember, I wasn't initially talking about the ME, I was responding to Steve's
comment at the beginning of this post. You started talking about the ME. I
don't care about that. What I care about and believe is that all matter has
energy and, in addition, if you have brain waves they, too, have/are energy and
when you have energy you have "an effect".

 Where we go beyond that, I don't know.

 I maintain that any body or an object with mass emits waves of some kind.

 Why on Earth would you want to maintain that?

 Because he is right, they do.

 LOL

 Where we go beyond that, I don't know.

 And yes, I believe celestial objects fall in to this somewhere.

 We are free to believe what we like. The TMO are trying to make money by
claiming an actual physical effect. Still, I guess your response answers my
question about who the letter was aimed at....

 You're such a curmudgeon.

 Why? Someone has to stand up for reality. People like Steve who don't have a
grounding in science are the intended recipients of this stuff. They'll bleed
him dry if they get the chance.

 Well, Steve doesn't seem bled dry by now so it is unlikely to happen. In fact,
Steve is probably one of the few people on this forum that has what I would
call a normal and balanced life. He actually has a family, runs a successful
business and seems kind and considerate. I wouldn't worry about having to save
him from the TM Movement. LOL