--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > What I meant by my remark was that once enlightenment is
reached,
> > > the spiritual tradition we have followed loses its uniqueness,
and
> > > in some ways much of its value; an enlightened Buddhist shares
the
> > > same view as an enlightened Hindu or Sufi or whatever.
>
> When I was a TM teacher, and for a few years after that, I said the
> same thing. Then I asked, "Do I really know what I am talking about
> here, or am I just parroting unsubstantiated dogma I have heard?" I
> quickly realized it was the latter. With some reading and reaserch,
> talking to others, I found there are quite large differences in
> of different traditions and religions -- and representative saint's
> reports of states theyhave obtained.  But I am not a scholar. Most
> scholars I have read or talked to, who devote their lives to the
> topic, find differences not sameness.
>
> Parroting dogma is a mental handicap. It can be overcome.

Gotta agree. There are *vastly* differing descriptions
of enlightenment, by the enlightened, depending upon
the tradition in which they realized enlightenment.
Lesha vidya, and all that. The Self may be realized,
but the self still thinks very much in the same terms
it's been used to thinking.

In Boulder, CO, many many moons ago, one of the spiritual
schools there used to sponsor what they called "Holy Man
Jams."  They'd invite supposedly realized teachers and
saints who represented different traditions from all
over the world and put them up on the same stage together
to speak. In every one of them I ever saw, it descended
into arguments within five minutes and never let up
after that. For all I know, there could have been five
enlightened beings up on that stage, but they were
arguing like schoolkids over how to express or explain
that enlightenment. Go figure.

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AQDrNC/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM