Conversation continued at bottom:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Marek,
>
> I've been "away" for a bit and not following the action here. Nice
post. Certainly gives a
> new take on Nisargadatta.
>
> Where did you learn these things about his guru, his practice, his
teachings?

> L B S

**SNIP TO END**

Hey LB,

Me, too.  "Away" I mean.  I've been following the posts but more
spotty than in the past and haven't posted much myself except here and
there.

You know, I can't tell you exactly where I read that stuff about
Nisargadatta and Siddharameshwar, his teacher, but probably just
googling around and about and stuff falls in the hopper and shakes out
later on.  If I remember correctly I think some of it is on some site
that talks about Somerset Maugham (sp?) and The Razor's Edge and the
"real" Larry Darrow.

Apparently Maugham's model for the guru, Sri Ganapati, in The Razor's
Edge was Ramana Maharishi.  Plus, he (Maugham) also visited
Siddharameshwar, too.  If you find that site there are a number of
links that branch out to all sorts of different places and there is
the information about the "bird's way" and the "ant's way" as well as
the "monkey's way" that Siddharameshwar spoke about and a fourth way,
too, whose name I've forgotten.

The extended metaphor is that the "ant's way" requires a long and
arduous journey to the fruit which remains out of site until just
before it's attained.  The "bird's way", as was said earlier, is where
the fruit is seen and attained directly.  "Monkey's way" is kind of
the in-between way where the fruit is seen and there's some jumping
and grabbing and swinging from branch-to-branch till it's reached.
The fourth way is when "nothing" is done and the fruit just falls from
the tree right where you happen to be.  Boink.

Anandamayi and Ramana Maharishi are perfect examples of this fourth
"way".  It's the easiest and most difficult way of all.  You just
gotta be at the right place at the right time.

Anyway, no one I've ever read or heard has ever spoken more clearly to
me than Nisargadatta.  Totally cleared things up.  A good friend of
mine refers to him as the proletariat guru.  No heirarchies or
fancy-shmancy stuff there.  Very refreshing.  But I'm still a sucker
for Guru Dev.

Marek