Hey Shemp,

I know from past interactions that you appreciate
some of the artworks of a fellow I know.  I saw a
*very* rare piece of his tonight that I thought
you would dig hearing about.

The artist in question is known for the precision
of his line drawing.  He's reknowned for his comics,
but his drawing has been compared to some of the
olde masters, and with reason.  So anyway, what
I came across tonight was a leftover from the
early days of him teaching himself how to draw.
Early on, he became fascinated with Japanese ink
painting, and the Zen of it.  It's a very Now
artform, because the paper that the artist paints
on is so fragile that the entire painting has to
be done in one long brushstroke.  If you pause
or lift the brush from the paper, you tear it and
the whole piece goes in the trashbin.

Anyway, the piece I found that I know you would
just love is from a period in which this artist
was trying to draw like this, in one long stroke,
never lifting his pen from the paper until the
work was finished.  He still has a few of the
drawings from that period, but this piece of art
is not even pen on paper.

It's done on an Etch-a-sketch.

And it's magnificent.  I really loved it, not only
because the drawing is lovely, but because it's
so incredibly fragile.  It could never be transported
anywhere, because if you tried to move it very far,
whatever the mechanism is inside an Etch-a-sketch
machine that erases the current painting and creates
a blank "canvas" for the next painting would get
activated during the move.

The whole thing reminded me of Tibetan sand mandalas.
They're a very ephemeral artform as well.  Six or
seven monks work for six or seven months to create
this perfect mandala, painted in colored sand.  And
then at the end of the process, because the work of
art really can't be preserved and was never intended
to be preserved in the first place, the monks just
sweep all the sand into a sack, offer it to the gods,
and start on the next mandala.

This Etch-a-sketch painting is a lot like that.  It
has managed to survive all this time, but sooner or
later, it's going to just go away.  One of the cats
is going to knock it over, or a maid dusting that
shelf is going to knock it over, and it'll be history.
At that point, the drawing will exist only in the mind
of the artist who created it and the people who were
fortunate enough to see it before it went away.

I feel fortunate to be one of the latter.  I'm just
passing this story along because I have the weird
intuition that you'd appreciate it.

Unc