--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Premanand Paul Mason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jesus is said to have travelled to India mainly along the 'Hippie
> trail', but perhaps by boat on an earlier occasion - apparently it
> was relatively easy to travel there by this method in those days.
> 'Jesus Lived in India' also lights on some other interesting
> subjects too, namely the place of the Turin Shroud in the story of
> Jesus (the contention is that it is authentic, but that because it
> seems to prove Jesus was still alive when wrapped in the shroud,
> it has been deemed a fake - the author has supplied a lot of
> compelling evidence). Also the topic of the 'Promised Land' is
> raised, offering Kashmir as the location of at least some of
> the 'Lost Tribes'.
>
> Also related to the story of Jesus is the legendary assertion that
> Jesus visited England with his uncle, who came here on business.
> He is supposed to have landed at what is now called St. Michaels
> Mount, near Penzance in Cornwall and travelled up to Glastonbury
> (no, not to the festival - it has not been going THAT long).

All of these trips are fascinating.  I live in the
middle of a hotbed of them, the south of France, which
just teems with Magdalene sects and Jesus-was-here sects
and even sects within larger sects, like the ones one
finds in the Catholic Church.  But there are two elements
to almost all of them that I find off-putting.

If you feel out the "vibe" surrounding most of these
trips, most of the time you'll feel two things.  The
first is "We know the truth and no one else does."
The second is "We're special because we know the
truth and no one else does."

That's one reason I keep recommending Christopher Moore's
"Lamb."  It has no agenda, other than exploring the
story of Christ in a new way, and enabling people to
actually laugh along the Way.  It's fiction, but very
well-researched fiction, based on studying many of
the books that have been mentioned here in this thread,
and better, on studying the core texts of Buddhism,
Taoism, and Hinduism.  Chris put in a couple of years
of travel and study writing it.

But at the end, it's FUNNY.  It is a marvelous explor-
ation of what Christ's life might have been like, but
with absolutely NONE of that "We know the truth and
are really, really *special* because we know it" vibe.
I find that to be a remarkable achievement.  Would
that more spiritual books could achieve it.