--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, MDixon6569@ wrote:
<snip>
> > > However I did have to chuckle when Jimmy  Carter tried to take
> > > a poke at Bush when he referred to illegal wire tapings and
> > > spying on of citizens Martin Luther King and wife. What was so
> > > funny was Ted Kennedy was sitting not 30 feet from Carter and
> > > it was John Kennedy and  Bobby Kennedy that ordered the wire
> > > taps on the Kings.
> > >
> > > OOOPs! Who was Jimmy  trying  to embarres?
>

> > You've just "embarressed" yourself.  Here's the Church
> > Commission report on the wiretapping of Dr. King:
> >
> > http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/cointelpro/churchfinalreportIIIb.htm
> >
> > Read it and weep.
>
> *****************
>
> From the link you cite, Robert Kennedy did approve wiretaps on
> King, although the FBI went further than Kennedy had in mind,
> evidently:

That's the understatement of the month.

Obviously Kennedy shouldn't have approved the wiretaps
in the first place--at least morally; it was legal for
him to do so--and apparently he did so reluctantly.

But how MDixon thinks the FBI's vastly worse behavior
reflects badly on *Teddy* Kennedy, who has been outspokenly
opposed to Bush's ILLEGAL wiretapping of many thousands of
Americans, is really hard to figure.

> [...]
> King and to "neutralize" him as the leader of the civil rights
> movement. One of the first steps in this effort involved hiding
> microphones in Dr. King's hotel rooms. Those microphones were
> installed without Attorney General Kennedy's prior authorization or
> subsequent notification, neither of which were required under
> practices then current. The FBI continued to place microphones in
> Dr. King's hotel rooms until November 1965. Attorney General
> Katzenbach was apparently notified immediately after the fact of
the
> placement of three microphones between May and November 1965. It is
> not clear why the FBI stopped its microphone surveillance of Dr.
> King, although its decision may have been related to concern about
> public exposure during the Long Committee's investigation of
> electronic surveillance.
>
> This chapter examines the legal basis for the wiretaps and
> microphones, the evidence surrounding the motives for their use,
and
> the degree to which Justice Department and White House officials
> were aware of the FBI's electronic surveillance of Dr. King.
>
> A. Legal Standards Governing the FBI's Duty to Inform the Justice
> Department of Wiretaps and Microphones During the Period of the
> Martin Luther King Investigation
>
> The FBI's use of wiretaps and microphones to follow Dr. King's
> activities must be examined in light of the accepted legal
standards
> and practices of the time. Before March 1965, the FBI followed
> different procedures for the authorization of wiretaps and
> microphones. Wiretaps required the approval of the Attorney General
> in advance. However, once the Attorney General had authorized the
> FBI to initiate wiretap coverage of a subject, the Bureau generally
> continued the wiretap for as long as it judged necessary. As former
> Attorney General Katzenbach testified:
>
> The custom was not to put a time limit on a tap, or any wiretap
> authorization. Indeed, I think the Bureau would have felt free in
> 1965 to put a tap on a phone authorized by Attorney General Jackson
> before World War II. 130
>
> In "national security" cases, the FBI was free to carry out
> microphone surveillances without first seeking the approval of the
> Attorney General or informing him afterward. The Bureau apparently
> derived authority for its microphone practice from a 1954
memorandum
> sent by Attorney General Brownell to Director Hoover, stating:
>
> It is clear that in some instances the use of microphone
> surveillance is the only possible way to uncovering the activities
> of espionage agents, possible saboteurs, and subversive persons. In
> such instances I am of the opinion that the national interest
> requires that microphone surveillance be utilized by the Federal
> Bureau of Investigation. This use need not be limited to the
> development of evidence for prosecution. The FBI has an
intelligence
> function in connection with internal security matters equally as
> important as the duty of developing evidence for presentation to
the
> courts and the national security requires that the FBI be able to
> use microphone surveillance for the proper discharge of both such
> functions. The Department of Justice approves the use of microphone
> surveillance by the FBI under these circumstances and for these
> purposes.... I recognize that for the FBI to fulfill its important
> intelligence function, considerations of internal security and the
> national safety are paramount and, therefore, may compel the
> unrestricted use of this technique in the national interest. 131
>
> The Justice Department was on notice that the FBI's practice was to
> install microphones without first informing the Justice Department.
> Director Hoover told Deputy Attorney General Bryon White in May
> 1961:
>
> in the internal security field we are utilizing microphone
> surveillances on a restricted basis even though trespass is
> necessary to assist in uncovering the activity of Soviet
> intelligence agents and Communist Party leaders.... In the interest
> of national safety, microphone surveillances are also utilized on a
> restricted basis, even though trespass is necessary, in uncovering
> major criminal activities. 132
>
> A memorandum by Courtney Evans indicates that he discussed
> microphones in "organized crime cases" with the Attorney General in
> July 1961:
>
> It was pointed out to the Attorney General that we had taken action
> with regard to the use of microphones in [organized crime] cases
> and . . . we were nevertheless utilizing them in all instances
where
> this was technically feasible and where valuable information might
> be expected. The strong objections to the utilization of telephone
> taps as contrasted to microphone surveillances was stressed. The
> Attorney General stated he recognized the reasons why telephone
taps
> should be restricted to national-defense-type cases and he was
> pleased we had been using microphone surveillances, where these
> objections do not apply, wherever possible in organized crime
> matters. 133
>
> The Justice Department later summarized this practice in a brief to
> the Supreme Court:
>
> Under Departmental practice in effect for a period of years prior
> 1963, and continuing into 1965, the Director of the Federal Bureau
> of Investigation was given authority to approve the installation of
> devices such as [microphones] for intelligence (but not
evidentiary)
> [...]
> installation of a microphone, you will be advised when such is
> discontinued if in less than six months and, if not discontinued in
> less than six months, that a new request be submitted by me to you
> for extension of the telephone tap or microphone installation. 135
>
> One week later Katzenbach sent to the White House a proposed
> Presidential directive to all Federal agencies on electronic
> surveillance. This directive, formally issued by President Johnson
> on June 30, 1965, forbade the nonconsensual interception of
> telephone communications by Federal personnel, "except in
connection
> with investigations related to the national security" and then only
> after obtaining the written approval of the Attorney General. The
> directive was less precise concerning microphone surveillance:
>
> Utilization of mechanical or electronic devices to overhear
> nontelephone conversations is an even more difficult problem, which
> raises substantial and unresolved questions of constitutional
> interpretation. I desire that each agency conducting such
> investigations consult with the Attorney General to ascertain
> whether the agency's practices are fully in accord with the law and
> with a decent regard for the rights of others. 136
>
> B. Wiretap Surveillance of Dr. King and the SCLC: October 1963 --
> June 1966
>
> On September 6, 1963, Assistant Director William Sullivan first
> recommended to Director Hoover that the FBI install wiretaps on Dr.
> King's home and the offices of the Southern Christian Leadership
> Conference. 137 Sullivan's recommendation was apparently part of an
> attempt to improve the Domestic Intelligence Division's standing
> with the Director by convincing him that Sullivan's Division was
> concerned about alleged communist influence on the civil rights
> movement and that the Division intended, as Sullivan subsequently
> informed the Director, to "do everything that is humanly possible"
> in conducting its investigation. 138
>
> Sullivan's recommendation was viewed with scepticism by the FBI
> leadership since Attorney General Kennedy had rejected a similar
> proposal two months earlier. Associate Director Clyde Tolson noted
> on the memorandum containing Sullivan's Proposal: "I see no point
in
> making this recommendation to the Attorney General in view of the
> fact that he turned down a similar recommendation on July 22,
1963."
> 139 Director Hoover scrawled below Tolson's note: "I will approve
> though I am dizzy over vacillation as to influence of CPUSA." 140
>
> In late September 1963 the FBI conducted a survey and concluded
that
> wiretap coverage of Dr. King's residence and of the New York SCLC
> office could be implemented without detection. 141 On October 7,
> citing "possible communist influence in the racial situation,"
> Hoover requested the Attorney General's permission for a
wiretap "on