> This common usage of the term "tradition" has the added
> side benefit of enabling the TB who wields it of putting
> down those who *have* had spiritual experiences. Because
> those experiences don't necessarily jibe with what the
> "tradition" told the TB to expect, the TB can use the
> word "tradition" to attempt to discredit the person who
> has actually had a few experiences, and discredit the
> experiences themselves. It's a nice "perk" of clinging
> to a "tradition" that hasn't really ever delivered on
> its own promises.
>
> :-)  :-)  :-)

Could be. Don't know. The ego is masterful at distracting the heart
and mind from their suffering.

What your response reminded me of though is that I don't know, nor
have I ever heard of, anyone actually stabilized in the TM
definitions of CC, GC, and UC. I experienced the hallmarks of all of
those states at different times, and at that time really wanted a
permanent experience.

It almost seemed like those experiences of higher states of
consciousness, though not full 24/7 enlightenment (i.e. absence of
suffering), were a spur or a goad to keep going, because after
experiencing such states and then having to 'return' to suffering,
my suffering by contrast seemed greater and more intense than ever.

So, perhaps associating those higher states of consciousness with
some sort of stair-step progression, much as we progress through
school-- I am in CC, there, now I am in GC, OK, now I am in UC...--
perhaps this is a mistaken understanding.

So, I would now say that these states are an indication that the
nervous system can support a significant symptom of enlightenment,
leading to Brahman. It is not at all as cut and dried, nor as 'safe'
as the TMO led us to believe all of these years.

Of course, given that the state of Brahman being finally an accurate
reflection of the Universe, is fundamentally a paradox, incalculable
by the intellect, I can see now why Maharishi wisely stayed away
from the open discussion of it.

Rather, he provided a set of tools, and instructions for use. How
those tools have been used and understood has always been up to us.