--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<fairfieldlife@>
> > wrote:

> > > Sure, in fact the TMO bought large quantities of books at the
right
> > time to
> > > get them on the best seller lists, which then created a
momentum.

> > Not directly, as far as I know. The best-seller lists
> > monitor "institution sales," so to get around that I suggested to
Carla
> > Linton and she passed on to Chopra who said it was the best idea
he had
> > ever heard, to do a well-organized, piece-meal buying campaign,
where
> > Chopra supporters would by a handful of books from each store and
then
> > resell to their friends at exactly the same cost that they paid.
> >
> > This idea was disseminated unoficially throughout the TMO and
> > individual supporters of Chopra and there were well organized,
non-
> > institutional mass-purchases of Chopra's books as they came out.
This
> > kept the purchases off the institutional-buy radar but had the
same
> > effect.
>

> So a devious means to pull the wool over peoples eyes was used to
> promote a technique that promotes "Truth" and  "Enlightenment".

IT wasn't devious.The books were resold to friends. I made it clear,
and the letter did also, that the books would be purchased FOR people
that would be buying the book anyway. We just bought it for them in a
very short period of time, as opposed to the trickle-effect that
casual buyers would have had on his week-over-week sales in the
initial period when it was released.

> One amongst many such devious and deceptive ploys.

Not that devious and certainly not illegal unethical or immoral. And
how is it deceptive to buy a book or three for friends who were
already going to buy the book? The only effect that my strategy had
was on *timing* of book sales. We got all the fans to make their
purchases inthe first week or so, rather than inthe first month or
three.

> Is there much doubt why it didn't work out?

But it did work out and quite well, on the levelof book sales at
least. Chopra's booksales were quite brisk for a completely unknown
author during that time, and put him squarely in the sights of
publishers as an up-and-coming writer.