> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
> <j_alexander_stanley@> wrote:
> >
> > Judy, your analysis is, of course, dead on accurate. But, I can't
> > help but think you take Barry far more seriously than he takes
> > himself. I always assume he's just joking around when he posts
> > bullshit just to get a rise out of people.
>
> In my observation over more than 10 years, Barry
> adopts the *pose* of not taking himself seriously, but
> it's only that, a pose.  It's designed to allow him to
> wiggle out of his dishonest statements and attacks when
> someone catches him.  The attacks themselves are deadly
> serious, as is his intention to mislead and deceive
> others.
>
> You can't really tell that this is the case unless
> you've followed his posts and exchanges over some time.
> Just for instance, he'll say something untrue in a
> post that one *could* view as just kidding around, but
> then sometime later he'll bring the falsehood up again
> in a serious discussion as if it were established fact
> and base an argument on it.
>
> He's sometimes pretty clever about it.  I'd bet that
> if you were to have taken a poll immediately after he'd
> posted what I quoted about the issue in the thread
> being the right to express oneself--i.e., his bogus
> parallel with the Muhammad cartoons thread--a majority
> of those who read that post would have thought he had
> a point.
>
> And that's a pretty serious charge, that those of us
> who have been criticizing Feste don't think Feste has
> a right to express his views.

While I agree with you on the mechanics of his style, its not clear
why he constantly distorts things. Does he have agenda? Perhaps he
likes to promote a few minor POVs. But I don't see it as a crusade to
promote a particular over arching platform.

I think its more that seeks to be, craves being, seen as witty. To be
the life of the party, always with a witty bon mot, piercing
observation. Why let truth, facts and logic get in the way of such a
fabulous pursuit?

Its sort of fun to watch. Few of his witticisms can be made around
true things. So its a bit of a game or puzzle to see what Barry is
distorting  today -- in pursuit of his fabulaous witty image. It keeps
the mind sharp to unravel twisted knots, to peer through his smoke and
mirrors.