Huh. One Scientific American article showed conclusively that the
most popular potrait of Shaekspear was a retouched version of the
most popular portrait of Queen Elisabeth, and suggested that SHE was
the author of a good many plays.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shaksper was an actor. He was quite a convenient front man for
Oxford. I
> cannot answer all your questions because it is some years since I
researched
> this and I have forgotten many of the details. But the best book on
the subject
> was published only last August. It's called Shakespeare by Any
Other Name,
> by Mark Anderson. I haven't read it yet, but it's a serious book,
serious
> publisher, and was reviewed in the quality press. The author has a
website,
> http://www.shakespearebyanothername.com/index.html, which may pique
> your interest in the whole issue. There are also some cheap used
copies
> available on Amazon.
>
> The case for Oxford as author is circumstantial, but the parallels
between his
> life and the details of the plays are cumulative and in sum
overwhelming.
> Also, it's been known for some years now that one of the
few "portraits" of
> Shaksper, known as the Ashbourne portrait, is in fact a touched up
portrait of
> the Earl of Oxford. This has been demonstrated scientifically and
has never
> been refuted by the Stratfordians (those who cling to the belief
that Shaksper
> of Stratford wrote the plays). The academic establishment refuses
to take the
> Oxford case seriously but they are looking more and more foolish as
the years
> go by. Their "biographies" of Shakespeare are a joke. Of course, if
they were
> to admit that Oxford wrote the plays, or even acknowledge the
possibility of
> such a thing, their life's work would be negated. They simply can't
afford to
> admit they are wrong.
>
> Someone on this site mentioned Francis Bacon as the author. No way!
The
> only serious candidate is Oxford, and Oxford wrote those plays. I
have no
> doubt of it.
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@>
wrote:

> > OK, even if that were the case, the profession became respectable
and
> > has been so for quite a while since. Wouldn't the Earl's
descendants
> > have wanted to set the record straight? Wouldn't they want their
own
> > ancestor to be known as the greatest playwright in history?  And
why
> > would the Earl have picked someone illiterate to be his
frontman?
> > Wouldn't that have seemed sort of suspicious?
> >
> > And I'm still a bit confused as to how someone who is so
illiterate all
> > they can do is to sign their own name, becomes interested in the
> > acquisition of wealth, social status and property to begin with?
And
> > how someone this low on the social scale made his situation so
> > well-known that 400 years later people are still talking about it.
> >
> > Sal
> >

> > On Feb 26, 2006, at 10:54 AM, feste37 wrote:
> >
> > > It just wasn't the thing for a nobleman to write plays for the
public
> > > theaters,
> > >  which were considered rather disreputable places. Writing
plays was
> > >  something lower-class people did. It was closer to a trade
than an
> > > honorable
> > >  profession, hence the word "playwright," as in "shipwright"
and
> > > "wheelwright,"
> > >  that is, an artisan, a worker.
> > >
> > >  --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine
<salsunshine@>
> > > wrote:
> > >  >
> > >  > Why would the Earl of Oxford not have wanted to take credit
for the
> > >  > plays?
> > >  >
> > >  > Sal
> > >  >
> > >  >
> > >  > On Feb 26, 2006, at 9:31 AM, feste37 wrote:
> > >  >
> > >  > > Shakespeare's plays were in fact written by the Earl  of
Oxford.
> > > They
> > >  > > were
> > >  > >  certainly not written by the illiterate Shaksper from
Stratford,