In the below Barry says that "Buddhism believes that the universe is
eternal, and that there has never been and will never be a moment in
which the universe was not manifest and created."

In fact, I've noticed (while lurking) that he quite often makes this
assertion. But it's my impression that this is just plain wrong -
Buddhism does NOT say this.

The question of whether the world is eternal or not eternal is one
of the Buddha's 'ten indeterminate questions'. In fact, Buddhism
says that

- it is not true that world is eternal
- it is not true that world is not eternal
- it is not true that world is both eternal and not eternal
- it is not true that world is neither eternal nor not eternal

One interpretation (which is plausible to me) of why the Buddha
called such
questions 'indetermine', is that to give any answer to them (e.g. to
the question "is the universe eternal") is to commit a category
error.

Here is an example of an indeterminate question that is easy to spot
as such: Suppose a fire which had been burning before you were to go
out. If someone were to ask in which direction the fire had gone,
north, south, east, or west, what would you reply?

I got this from this website:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/awakening101/avyaakata.html
which has a nice discussion on these issues.

Regards,

Geoff