While what you say below about the "indeterminable questions"
is true, Geoff, I have a very different theory as to why
the Buddha chose to fit certain things into that category.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with "category errors."
It's because thinking about them is a total waste of time.
Nothing would be gained from knowing the answer. :-)

That said, you are welcome to your opinion as to what the
Buddha said about whether the universe was ever created
or not (which is the main point I'm homing in on, *not*
whether it is eternal in the sense of lasting forever into
the future). I base my belief on what I have been told by
real, live teachers of Buddhism from several different
sects -- Japanese, Tibetan, and Chinese. All were agreed
on a cosmology in which there was never a start to creation.
That's the thing that I think most distinguishes the mythos
of Buddhism from almost any other philosophy or study. It
creates a very, very different set of assumptions than
believing that there *was* a start to creation and that
creation has flowed linearly since that start.

Your mileage may vary...sounds as if it has. Believe
whatever you want. I tend to believe the real-life teachers
I've met and worked with. If you have heard differently from
the real-life teachers with whom you have personally studied
Buddhism, I'd love to hear who they were and what they thought
about this matter. If, on the other hand, you're just looking
for a pissing contest based on something you read on a website
somewhere, look elsewhere.  :-)

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "coulsong2001" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>