--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1090580
208105680.xml

> SEC probe finds no evidence of Sept. 11 terrorist trade schemes
> Friday, July 23, 2004
> Associated Press
>
> Washington- After an extensive investigation, the government has
> found no evidence that terrorists tried to profit from stock and
> options trading before the Sept. 11 attacks, the Securities and
> Exchange Commission said Thursday.

(Interesting "edit" of what the SEC said: "terrorists"
versus "anyone who had advance knowledge."  Is the AP,
like Shemp, unable to imagine even the possibility
of advanced knowledge of the attacks on the part of
anyone but the terrorists themselves?)

> "In the course of that review, we did not develop any evidence
> suggesting that anyone who had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11
> attacks traded on the basis of that information," the SEC said.

That's nice, but I'd prefer to hear this from an
organization not under the thumb of the administration.

(Shemp will again accuse me of claiming the administration
dunnit.  That's because his imagination is even more
limited than that of AP.)

And did the SEC investigate *all* the following
unusual trading?

> > There was unusual trading in the stock of firms whose
> > offices were in the World Trade Center, including Morgan
> > Stanley, Lehman Bros., Bank of America, and Marsh &
> > McLennan; insurance companies Munich Re (Germany) and AXA
> > Group (France), which combined were on the hook for about
> > $2 billion in damages from the attacks, as well as American
> > International Group, Swiss Reinsurance, Chubb, Cigna, CNA
> > Financial, John Hancock, and MetLife; plus General Motors,
> > Raytheon, Continental, Delta, Northwest, Southwest,
> > USAirways, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Citigroup (38
> > companies in all); there was also a surge in the purchase
> > of five-year Treasury notes and unusual movement in gold
> > and oil prices.

And what about the $2.5 million gain that hadn't been
claimed as of September 29, 2001?  Did anybody
investigate that?  *Was* it claimed subsequently?

(Can somebody explain to me how a trader could have
made $2.5 million and nobody would know who it
belonged to unless it was claimed?  I'm still wondering
about who has the information on who traded what,
and what it would take to pry it loose.)