--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Mark: now that you have been informed (by the snopes posting by
Anon)
> > that the American Airlines put options purchase was
counterbalanced by
> > the purchase by the same institutional buyer of American stock,
do you
> > still feel that this was a suspicious trade, as you indicated in
>
> It helps explain the unusually large UAL put volume I observed.
It's
> kind of a weird trade, short the equivalent of 190,000 shares of
> United, then 4 days later buy 115,000 shares of American to
establish
> the semi-hedge.  Also, the official report refers to a newsletter
> recommending puts to explain some of the other days  -- I'd like to
> actually see the rec and determine the influence of the newsletter.
>
> IN short, I think the pre-9/11 option trades were most likely not
> suspicious, but I wouldn't bet the entire farm on it yet.
>
> PS - The report also says the put-buying institution in question
(not
> named) has no conceivable ties to al-queda, which I'm sure is true,
> but I've never thot it was terrorists doing the trading, but more
> likely someone in the intelligence community coming across wires
and
> info, nothing concrete, but enough to think something involving
those
> airlines was in play in the near future.  I'm curious who the
> institution or hedge fund is and what their connections with the
> intelligence community might be.  OTOH, they'd have to be pretty
> stupid to try to profit in such a conspicuous way.

Interesting point now that you mention it and the one possibility I
would see on the American side of someone doing an "insider trade"
on the tragedy of 9/11 would be one of those intelligence agents who
perhaps warned his higher-ups of an impending terrorist attacks, his
warnings fell on deaf ears and then he said: hey, what the hell, if
they don't believe me well then I might as well short the S&P and at
least make something from it.