markmeredith wrote:
> Most every Indian spiritual group I've investigated uses some
> of the bija mantras - not necessarily in an eye-closed effortless
> meditation practice, but they seem to be very commonly known.

So, it's a common practice all over India - Mr. Perino was mistaken.

> As discussed here recently, early TMers report they weren't given
> bij mantras, but "Ram".

Maybe so, but I'm TM meditator #212 in the USA, according to Beaulah
Smith, and I never got a 'Ram' bija mantra. From what I've read, the
very first TM meditator in India, a certain Mr. Raya, recieved the
same bija I recieved in 1965, that would be ten years after the
founding of the SRM by Marshy.

> Speaking of Nandkisore, I'd always heard the story about how
> surprised he was when MMY taught him TM - there was nothing
> like it taught within their ashram.

If true, then Nandkisore obviously didn't get around very much - a
technique similar to TM was taught at Jyotirmath for years and as you
and Vaj have confiremd, the technique and the bija mantras are
ubiquitous all over India. Go figure.

The mantra you mentioned, 'ram', which isn't even a bija mantra but
the name of a deified hero, wasn't listed on Trancenet by John Knapp
nor was it mentioned by Mike Doughney on Minit Org's Website. The
mantra 'ram' isn't mentioned by Robert Kropinsky either, in his report
concerning his visit to the Shankaracharya: "Further, I spoke aloud
the sixteen mantras...", (see citation below).

You may be mistaken on this - apparently 'ram' has never been used by
Marshy as a bija mantra for program. I could be wrong though.

From: John Manning
Date: Mon, Oct 22 2001 12:00 pm
Groups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Subject: To BillyG