> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:

> > <snip>
> > > It's not standard English, at least in the USA, to refer to a
> grown
> > > woman as a "girl" these days. Women's Libbers called men on it
> all
> > > the time in the 70's because it is belittling someone else by
> > > implying that you are older and wiser.
> >
> > The poor men.  Originally it was intended as a
> > compliment, suggesting that the female in question
> > was still in the full bloom of youth and therefore
> > physically attractive.  Of course that was sexist
> > in and of itself, but that was in the days before
> > we knew there was such a thing as sexism.
> >
> > Nowadays, if you want to casually address a group
> > of women, instead of saying, "Hey, girls," or "Hey,
> > ladies," you say, "Hey, guys..."
> >
> > As Barry would say, Go figure.
>
> I always knew that "pie hole" was willytex's line but I thought
> that "go figure" was his, too...

I think Willytex stole it from Barry.

BTW, I looked up "pie hole" but couldn't find much.  It
seems to be a variant on the British "cake hole."
Apparently the Oxford English Dictionary credits Stephen
King, of all people, for inventing it.  At least, the
first known use in print is from "Christine."

Other than that, I doubt there's much to be explained
about it.  At some point, somebody thought of "Shut yer
cake hole" as a clever way to say "Shut yer mouth" and
sound even more insulting, and others picked it up.