--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason Spock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>       First, What is your definition of insanity.??

It would be complex, because insanity is a complex
subject, but I'm pretty sure that one aspect of it
would include defining as insane people who give
themselves the titles of kings and expect others to
honor those titles. It would also include those
stupid enough *to* honor these self-given titles.  :-)

>       Second, it may not be sane, but you cannot ignore
> the teachings completely.  That would be like throwing
> the baby along with the bathwater.

Some babies deserve to be thrown out.  I'm with Shemp
on this one -- the *only* teaching I think was *ever*
of worth in the TM movement was how to do basic TM.
I think that's a good start for almost anyone, and
thus potentially valuable.  I think that everything
else, including the siddhis and the diet advice and
all the "Vedic" bullshit, is better thrown out.

>       Third, A little bit of Snake-Oil might be
> necessary to grease the wheels of a big movement.

Who said a big movement was necessary?  That's the
question that True Believers never seem to ask them-
selves.  Many spiritual organizations (for example,
Vipassana) have entirely volunteer organizations that
teach for free and end up teaching ten to twenty times
the number of people worldwide to meditate that the
TM organization does.  In my opinion, the TMO has turned
into an entity primarily concerned with perpetuating
itself, not with helping others.  The goals of the
organization are long forgotten; all that matters now
is perpetuating the organization.

>       Fourth, Take what is good in all the masters and
> leave out the irrelevant and the unnecessary.

IMO, there have never been any "masters" in history,
only people who longed to be subservient and thus
picked someone to be subservient to so that they
could call them "master."