> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> >
> > I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.
> >
> >> For all the talk of free love and the counterculure and the
> breaking
> > down of barriers and all that, I found that Hippies were more
into
> > their appearances and cliques than any staid conservative-
looking
> > guy like Tom Wolfe.  The counterculture was supposed to be about
> > what's in your heart and not materialistic things but it was the
> > Hippies who were very, very tribal when it came to what you
looked
> > like...and if you didn't look like them, they would shun you.
> >
> > Indeed, your anecdote above, Barry, speaks to that.  Just
because
> > Wolfe wore a white suit and tie, he wasn't fully accepted; he
had
> > get it dirty before he was.
> >
> > As well, I think the drug culture of the Sixties created alot of
> > misery and, basically, just a bunch of fucked-up dope addicts.
>
> Drug cultures always end up creating misery, it seems so positive
at
> first, a real breakthrough in what's possible with the mind and
some
> of the best experiences you could imagine.
>
> But there is a price to pay, I know plenty of people who paid with
> everything. Me, I never took it too seriously but after regaining
> consciousness in an opium den in Egypt after a major bit of "fear
> and loathing" in the middle east I decided enough was enough and
> sought a more "pure" path. And after the first week of TM I never
> touched anything again.

The other thing to be aware of if taking drugs is the distinction
between use and abuse. All too often we succumb to the adage, if a
little is good, more must be better.

However, other cultures, such as the American indian tribes of the
Southwest US who use peyote, for example, use the drug properly in a
formally defined religious context, with no apparent abuse.