In a message dated 5/26/06 10:53:10 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Look at the entertainment we had growing up. Lots of gratuitous
> violence in westerns and cop shows, and for the most part -- quite
> shallow scripts, overt racism

"overt racism" on TV?

Even in the '50s?

Although I may have been born too late ('55) or they never showed it
in reruns, I never remember seeing overt racism on TV.

Can you give us some examples?

I do remember watching Amos and Andy as a child and loved it. Supposedly the NAACP some how or another got it taken off the air. However Sanford and Son wasn't any better, maybe even more stereotypical, yet is considered classic black comedy. As for the Westerns and Cop shows of the fifties, they dealt with themes of morality teaching the bad guy is a loser and the good guy is the winner. Today you'll often find that crime pays as a theme. As for the gratuitous violence, there is just as much today and it was not near as graphic as it is portrayed today.