> In a message dated 6/30/06 9:02:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> --- In  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com) ,  "Robert Gimbel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote>>.
>
> <<<Well, it's hard to get out of AOL once  you get in; sort of like
they
> use scare tactics and other brain-washing  tools to keep you
hooked>>

> Do you have experience or reports you  heard about this? Specifics?
>
> OffWorld
>

> Yes, there was a class action law suit against AOL, America on
Line, refresh
> yourself on the original post. People complained about having
great
> difficulty canceling their service. LOL. They felt like they were
being  held hostage.
> LOL!

There's a video on YouTube or Google Video of a TV
interview with a guy who recorded his attempt to
cancel his AOL service.  The AOL dude keeps trying
and trying to talk him out of it, and the guy keeps
saying over and over, "Cancel my account!  Cancel
my account!"  He's perfectly polite, just insistent.
Finally the AOL dude says, "Could you let me speak
to your father, please?"  The guy is 30 years old.

Here's his blog entry, with a link to the recording:

http://insignificantthoughts.com/2006/06/13/cancelling-aol/

Google "canceling AOL" for lots of other news stories,
blog posts, and so on.