> [...]
> >
> > But at a certain point, Occam's razor comes into play;
> > the "different experience" premise may "multiply
> > entities beyond necessity."  The explanation that the
> > TMers are experiencing the same thing as what is
> > reported in the historical literature is simpler than
> > one that posits two completely different types of
> > experience that are described the same way.
>
> Ironically, I'm starting to suspect that there IS the
> possibility that different meditation techniques, rather
> than eventually inducing the same state, are actually
> inducing different states that can be described the same way.

We finally agree on something. I would say that the
number of possible 'states' to be measured is at
least the same as the number of people being tested,
and is probably higher, because each meditator is
capable of producing multiple states.

The desire to make it *seem* as if this is one state
that can be measured with any accuracy is a factor
of the belief system driving the "research." That's
what Maharishi wants to prove, so that's what the
researchers are looking for. And when they look for
something hard enough, and know that their ability to
get "strokes" from their teacher is completely depen-
dent on what it appears that they found, they tend to
"find" exactly what Maharishi wanted found.

I would say that the same phenomenon would be present
in research on any technique of meditation in which
the meditators were devoted practitioners of the
technique being "researched." They already know what
they're hoping to find, and thus they "find" it.