On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:53 PM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

--- curtisdeltablues wrote:

I agree with your point that blending crazy

beliefs and explosives takes the whole discussion out of the

theoretical and into the world of "holy shit!

--- Dave" <bikemaster@> wrote:

with people strapping on bombs and blowing

themselves up in coffee houses because they believe that 70 virgins

will greet them in paradise, it hits a lot closer to home.

A short time before 9/11/2001, I read or heard

somewhere that terrorism arises from a deep sense

of hopelessness and powerlessness. But I'm surprised

that with all my reading, I haven't run across any kind

of compelling discourse as to why terrorists kill civilians

and themselves. Has anybody run across a cogent

essay somewhere that has some insight into terrorism?

Or do you have some insights yourself? Anyone. Thanks.

Did you get to watch the videos I posted links to on terrorism?

Ken Wilber and others in his circle of friends have talked a good bit on this. A lot of it has to do with the level of moral development and the acceptance of a tribal, mythical god, rather than a universal god and the idea that if someone does not agree with my tribal god, it's ok to kill these infidels. In fact it's more than "OK", as KW puts it, it's actually like a job promotion. In any event he goes into details on the dynamics of terrorism.

Have you seen any of the TV documentaries on suicide bombers and their families?