--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, sgrayatlarge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "larry.potter"
> <larry.potter@> wrote:
> >
> > This is humeristic column, bob, but it seems that you missed
that
> > point, why I'm not surprised ?
> >
> > cut and and paste and put things out of context seems to be the
> > tactic for you.
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > "Listen to how Joshua and Caleb describe the inhabitants of
> Canaan—
> > the
> > > people who rightfully possess the land the Israelites want to
> > > seize: "Have no fear then of the people of the country, for
they
> > are
> > > our prey" (my italics). "Prey"—that's a breathtaking and
> sinister
> > > word! Again we're reminded that the Torah is not aspiring to
be
> > book
> > > for everyone. It is not preaching universal truth for all men.
> It
> > is
> > > the work of a single tribe at war with everyone around it.
Their
> > > enemies were not human: They were prey."
> > >
> > > http://www.slate.com/id/2146473/entry/2146669/?nav=tap3
>
> Hi Larry,
>
> After reading Bob's insights about Israel, the Bible,and the Jews,
> thought I'd share an article written by Dennis Prager. He
addresses
> how many Jews would react to Bob's apparent beliefs. Great timing
> Bob, I'm sure the Seattle Jewish Community will be thrilled to
read
> your in-depth analysis of the value of the old testament to
society.
> Bob, do us a favor and stick to something you know about- Bevan:
>
> On Jan. 21 in Paris, a gang of Muslims intent on kidnapping Jews
> kidnapped 23-year-old Ilan Halimi. Reciting verses from the Koran
in
> phone conversations demanding money from the family, they
ultimately
> rejected the money and tortured Halimi to death. They kept him
naked
> for weeks while they cut him up and finally poured flammable
liquid
> over his skin and burned him alive.
> When Jews read this story, they see themselves as Halimi and think
> that such a thing could happen to them somewhere in the world
today
> and somewhere in the world at any time in the past.
>
> If you want to understand how Jews think and behave, you must
first
> understand how large antisemitism and the Holocaust loom in the
> psyche, emotions and minds of the vast majority of Jews.
>
> It could not be otherwise.
>
> While ethnic, racial, religious and national hatreds are as old as
> mankind, none has been as universal and as deep as hatred of Jews.
>
> Jew-hatred was given the name "anti-Semitism" only in 1879 by a
> German anti-Semite named Wilhelm Marr. The term is entirely
> misleading since it has nothing to do with "Semites." Jews may be
> Semites, but so are Arabs, and antisemitism never meant hatred of
> Arabs, only of Jews.
>
> Jew-hatred or antisemitism has been so deep that tens of millions
of
> people have equated the Jews with the devil and many more have
> desired that the Jews be erased from the Earth. Such an attempt
was
> made only one generation ago in what is called the Holocaust (or
> Shoah, the Hebrew term). This was the German Nazi attempt to
murder
> every Jewish man, woman and child, which resulted in the murder of
> two out of every three Jews in Europe.
>
> To give an idea of how many Jews have been murdered for being
Jews,
> all one needs to do is look at population statistics. Scholars
> estimate the population of the Roman Empire at about 60 million at
> the time of Jesus. According to the dean of Jewish historians,
> Professor Salo Baron, at that time Jews comprised about 10 percent
> of the population. That means that 2,000 years ago there were
about
> 6 million Jews. It is also estimated that at that time, the
world's
> population was about 200 million.
>
> Today the world's population is over 6 billion. While the world's
> population is about 30 times larger than 2,000 years ago, the
Jewish
> population has barely doubled. Had Jews been left alone to
procreate
> at the same rate as others, there would be about 180 million Jews
in
> the world today. Moreover, even the 6 million number for the Roman
> empire represented a huge loss of population due to extensive
> killing of Jews in the 12 centuries from their inception.
>
> It is true that Jewish population losses have been also due to
> assimilation, but this assimilation was itself overwhelmingly a
> result of persecution

Not true...at least not true for America: today, 50% of Jews marry
non-Jews and this is NOT a result of persecution.  Jews in America
enjoy a freedom of living unprecedented in history when considering
Jews living as a minority in a country.

Alan Dershowitz wrote a whole book on this.

> -- forced conversions, desire to lead a far
> safer life as part of the majority culture, etc. In fact, because
of
> the Holocaust, there are fewer Jews today than there were 100
years
> ago.
>
> One can now understand why the Passover Haggadah -- the special
> prayer book for the Passover Seder meal, first written about 2,000
> years ago -- contains this famous statement: "In every generation
> there are those who rise against us to annihilate us . . . "
>
> As a result, Jews are probably the most insecure group in the
world.
> This may come as a surprise to most non-Jews since Jews are widely
> regarded as particularly powerful. But Jews' power and Jews'
> insecurity are not mutually contradictory. In fact, Jews' power
> derives in large measure from their insecurity. The stronger the
> Jews' influence, Jews believe, the less likely they are to be hurt
> again.
>
> Fear of being hurt again is the major reason most identifying Jews
> are so protective of Israel. First, they fear that without Israel,
> Jews are far more vulnerable to another outburst of antisemitic
> violence. And this has been true. Israel, for example, was Soviet
> Jewry's great defender (along with America and Diaspora Jewry) and
> the place to escape to. Only a very strong Israel, Jews believe,
can
> prevent another Holocaust. Second, Jews believe that Arabs and
other
> Muslims want to do to Israel and its Jewish inhabitants what the
> Nazis did to the Jews. And given the Palestinians' desire to
destroy
> Israel, the Iranian regime's repeated calls for the annihilation
of
> Israel, and the number of Muslims who chant, "Death to Israel,"
this
> fear is entirely warranted.
>
> Fear of being persecuted and even murdered solely for being a Jew
> resides in just about every Jew's psyche. It helps to explain
Jews'