--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Listen to how Joshua and Caleb describe the inhabitants of Canaan—
the
> people who rightfully possess the land the Israelites want to
> seize: "Have no fear then of the people of the country, for they are
> our prey" (my italics). "Prey"—that's a breathtaking and sinister
> word! Again we're reminded that the Torah is not aspiring to be a
book
> for everyone. It is not preaching universal truth for all men. It is
> the work of a single tribe at war with everyone around it. Their
> enemies were not human: They were prey."
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2146473/entry/2146669/?nav=tap3

One of the most absurd passages I've encountered in the Bible is this
one from 2. Kings:

23 And he went up from thence unto Beth-el; and as he was going up by
the way, there came forth young lads out of the city, and mocked him,
and said unto him, Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhead.
24 And he looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name
of Jehovah. And there came forth two she-bears out of the wood, and
tare forty and two lads of them.
25 And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned
to Samaria.

It's weird that most English translations have "she-bears",
but Vulgata has "duo ursi", which is a masculine expression.
Corresponding feminine  would IMO be "duae ursae".

24 qui cum se respexisset vidit eos et maledixit eis in nomine Domini
egressique sunt duo ursi de saltu et laceraverunt ex eis quadraginta
duos pueros